Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza

Options
wilco1
wilco1 Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok folks before everyone gets too crazy with turkey talk, I wanted to find out if anyone has some good time for Pizza. The in-laws are over (again) and I told them we're eating pizza courtesy the BGE. I'm not going all out with making my own pizza dough, but would like them to enjoy it. Dough is from Publix as well as all fixins. Just traditional pizzas tonight. My main concern is how hot and for how long. I'm planning on using the plate setter and pizza stone? Thanks....

Comments

• wilco1, I would go with about 500, preheat for 30 minutes-ish, then your pies should take about 10 minutes, depending on how thick your dough is and amount of toppings, just keep a close eye through the top vent & you'll be fine - good luck, Marc
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Wilco,

Here's a link to a post on our blog on making simple pizzas in the Egg.

http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2008/07/recipe-pizza-al.html

Basically, preheat to 550 with the pizza stone on top of the inverted plate setter (legs down), using the green ceramic feet as spacers between the plate setter and pizza stone. Cook for 7-9 minutes, or until the cheese starts to brown.

I've used this method with store bought and homemade dough a bunch of times, and always comes out great. Note that depending on how many pizzas you do, you may need to throw in a bit more lump from time to time (after 8-10 pies), as burning this hot for a long time uses a lot of fuel.

Mushroom%20pizza%201.jpg

Good luck,

-John
  • Pitmaster Paul
    Options
    Hi..I'm brand new to the forum..just joined today! Anyway, I've had my BGE for 3 weeks and have cooked on it 10 times already (never the same thing twice). Anyway, the method I used for pizza turned out GREAT!

I heated the Egg, plate-setter and stone to 500-550. I used Trader Joe's pizza dough & sauce and prepared my pizza on lightly-floured parchment paper on my peel. I then slid the pizza with parchment onto the stone. After about 3 minutes, I easily slid the parchment out from underneath the pizza and continued cooking till done. It took about 18 minutes total (my wife likes the crust crispy). I used the parchment 'cuz I don't really care for taste or texture of cornmeal baked into the bottom of my crust.

I was VERY pleased with how this turned out and can't wait to do it again. I did 2 pizza's that night, 1 Margherita and 1 pepperoni/sausage/mushroom and they were both awesome!
  • wilco1
    wilco1 Posts: 22
    Options
    Much thanks for all the help. Egg forum is the way to go.
  • Pitmaster Paul
    Options
    Hi..I'm brand new to the forum..just joined today! Anyway, I've had my BGE for 3 weeks and have cooked on it 10 times already (never the same thing twice). Anyway, the method I used for pizza turned out GREAT!

I heated the Egg, plate-setter and stone to 500-550. I used Trader Joe's pizza dough & sauce and prepared my pizza on lightly-floured parchment paper on my peel. I then slid the pizza with parchment onto the stone. After about 3 minutes, I easily slid the parchment out from underneath the pizza and continued cooking till done. It took about 18 minutes total (my wife likes the crust crispy). I used the parchment 'cuz I don't really care for taste or texture of cornmeal baked into the bottom of my crust.

I was VERY pleased with how this turned out and can't wait to do it again. I did 2 pizza's that night, 1 Margherita and 1 pepperoni/sausage/mushroom and they were both awesome!