Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Cook Time

Options
Harris Buck
Harris Buck Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
At 325.......what is the cooking time per pound generally speaking?

Thanks for any insight.

Comments

• Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    12-15 min per pound, but use a thermometer for proper cooking,
  • GrillDaddy
    Options
    I agree w/ Boss Hogg, I always use a themometer and us time as a guide for when to open egg. Just did a turkey yesterday on egg. came out great
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    At 325 F. I error on the side of 15 to 18 min. / lb. for an injected (pre-basted) bird and go 17 to 20 min. / lb for a fresh one. This way if it is done before…It is done before and can rest…But, isn’t holding up the rest of the meal.
    As Boss Hog and GrillDaddy have already stated; the final temp. is the determining factor. The roast time is at best a guesstimate, estimate.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I have experienced cooking times closer to 10 min/lb personally. Cook to thigh temperature and begin checking early so you don't over shoot your target meat temp. The egg cooks like a convection oven so times will be slightly less then estimates given on the turkey bag.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I do agree with you on this cook time thing!! Most often the Egg is faster than the oven. And that has bitten me on a ham that was done WAY before I was ready to serve it. :blush: Thank God for foil, a cooler and extra towels ;) !
    Where I was coming from with my times is that most often the recommended (on the bird / in the book) roasting temp. is 350, sometimes 375 even 400 F. and I always seem to lean toward the 300 to 325 F. range. This coupled with “I want my meat done before the sides” as opposed to waiting for the bird when everything else is done. I just find it easier to rest / hold the meat for a few minutes, than to try to hold everything else.
    Thus, my reasoning for erroring on the longer cook time.
    NO MATTER...It is still the final temp. that I need to make. Sometimes, it's just an experment.