Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad Max Turkey Question

Options
Skydogg41
Skydogg41 Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have done the Mad Max Turkey in the past and it is awesome! I have been asked to cook one for THanksgiving at my in-laws. The only problem is that they live an hour and a half away. I was thinking about cooking it the night before and putting the turkey in an oven bag and leave it in a cooler(no ice) over night. I have done this with pork(BBQ). Will a Turkey work the same way or will it need to be kept cold after awhile? Can I warm it in an oven at very low heat when I get to their house without drying it out? Or is the easiest thing to do be get up early and cook the turkey that morning and put it in an oven bag and go to their house? Thanks

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    You are asking for trouble with bot the pork and the Turkey leaving meat in a cooler over night.

Pack up your egg, leave early and cook it there, or get up earlier and cook it before you leave home.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    No way would I risk the turkey and everyone getting sick. Being thankful that the "Screaming Mimi's" are over is not what Tday is about. I agree with wolf, if you can't move your egg, then get up early. You can always cook it the day before,refrigerate,transport, slice and warm it at their house.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Please do not attempt to keep a bird warm for hours and hours..... :sick:...it will likely be that last turkey you cook for the gang.... :sick:
    Get up early and cook it that day and time it to come off as close to traveling time as possible. Or as Celtic said, get up early, leave early WITH the egg, and cook it there (which is actually the safest bet!) Plus you can show off your "egg prowess" there... :woohoo: B)
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    I did somewhat the same thing a couple of Thanksgivings ago. I cooked the turkey, put it in an ice chest and carried it to my daughter’s house (only 30 mins away). It stayed in the ice chest for a total of 1.5 hrs. When I opened the chest everything was moist (i.e. the walls, the lid and the bottom). The turkey was dry. All that moisture I was from the turkey. BOTTOMLINE: No one got sick (as suggested might happen but I have not done that again. :(
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Rich...There is a HUGE difference between holding for 1.5 hours, versus the holding overnight as was suggested in this post. Dryness is yet another issue.
  • Skydogg41
    Options
    I figured it would not keep that long. I was hoping it would just to make it easier on me. Thanks for all the feedback!!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    if you want to cook it the day before, the refrigerate it....take it to your in-laws cold, slice it there and re-heat it in the gravy.. . it will be moist that way and tasty in the gravy ...
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    I have done a MM turkey and wrapped it in foil, put in a styrofoam cooler for over 5 hours, came out perfect, not a crisp skin, but no one could tell it sat for 5 hours. You can cook at home and then take it with you. still will be hot and juicy
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Sorry Tach, Not only do I disagree with you but you are putting very bad advice for someone to follow. Your "hot and juicy" for you, is not in the accepted safe zone after sitting in foil and stuck inside your cooler for 5 hours! How would you like to go out to a resturant that keeped their potiens like that? My suggestion would be to take the egg and cook it there.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    Last week after our turkeyfest, I got to take the entire Mad Max Turkey #2 (from Max's demo) home with me .. put it in the frigerator ... also got the gravy ...a big ziplock bag of it....yum ... carved some turkey off for every meal warmed it in the lowest oven setting and dumped hot MM gravy on it and it was killer. I ate the entire turkey ...took only 3 days but I had to work at it ;) (I should probably mention that since I'm on a diet I didn't eat the skin... I think that gravy was lo-cal ...right?...good because I guess I had a couple of quarts of it) FB/SGP
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa.