Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

temp control.

Options
Tennisbum
Tennisbum Posts: 228
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ok the question is can the egg develop hot spots that will cause your temp to elevate. I did two 5lb briskets last night on a raised grid set up
started the fire at 7:30pm. Over ran the 225--250 target I was shooting for. Hit 300 and closed down the lower vent to almost completely closed as well as the Daisy Wheel. Temp came back down to 225 at about 9pm. Watched it for 30 minutes and it sat there. Put the meat on and went inside. Checked it at 11pm and it was climbing back up. Got it stabilized or at least I thought it was and went to bed. Checked at 3am and the temp was down to 150. Opened the vents so that it began to climb. At 6am it was 300 again and the meat was ready to pull.
any ideas?
thanks
gp

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    When I'm doing a low/slow, I make sure the Egg is stable at my desired temp for an hour. Put the meat on and leave the settings alone. Temp always goes down but recovers and seldom requires any adjustments. (Assuming I started with an empty firebox and stacked my fresh coals.)
    Kent Madison MS
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    You need to realize after you place 10 lbs of cold meat in the temp is going to drop. Get the temp set, place the meat on, and leave the original settings alone. You should also set your target dome temp to 250 which places the temp at the grill height around 25 degrees less or 225. The egg is like driving a river barge, every correction takes a long time to take effect so do little adjustments and give it time to stabilize. A Maverick ET-73 allows you to monitor the grill and meat temps from the comfort of your bed. Well worth the $40 or $50 for that kind of peace of mind.
  • Tennisbum
    Options
    thanks, guess I was just not patient enough and had to mess with it
    gp