Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Testing the egg (and my overnight skills) in the cold

Ohio Boy in DC
Ohio Boy in DC Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's 28 in VA with 5 deg wind chills predicted tonight....[p]So I put a 16 lb butt on this morning @ 9am, and adding a 12 lb brisket at 10 pm tonight...[p]I've finally stabilized at about 230 (Polder) temperature...[p]Hopefully around 10am tomorrow I'll have a couple of good pieces of meet I can put in the cooler for the game...[p]Any other advice from the cold weather crowd here (other than the whiskey I've already got poured in my glass :) )

Comments

• Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    Ohio Boy in DC,
    I think cold weather cooking is actually easier than a summer cook. If it is 10 degrees outside, you need a decent fire to maintain 225 dome temp. Because of this, there is less chance of the fire going out. If it is 90 degrees outside, and your egg is on a patio with a surface temp of 120, you need such a small fire to reach 225 in the dome that it has a better chance of going out.[p]If you used enough lump, and cleaned out before you started, you'll be fine.

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Ohio Boy in DC,[p]WOW. thats a big butt. Are you sure it's not two 8 pounders? If you want the brisket done by 10 AM I think I would put it on before 10 tonight. Two weeks ago I did two 8 pound butts over a 13 pound brisket and it took over 20 hours for both to be done using a Guru mostly set at 220*. If you have until game time you are probably OK with you brisket time. Happy Egging.[p]Chuck

• Chuck
    Ohio Boy in DC,[p]WOW. thats a big butt. Are you sure it's not two 8 pounders? If you want the brisket done by 10 AM I think I would put it on before 10 tonight. Two weeks ago I did two 8 pound butts over a 13 pound brisket and it took over 20 hours for both to be done using a Guru mostly set at 220*. If you have until game time you are probably OK with you brisket time. Happy Egging.[p]Chuck

• Chuck,
    Could be 2 8 lb's, but the saw line was pretty perfect? probably a butt and a picnic shoulder....[p]Your brisket took that long too huh? I was going to lay it on top of the butts tonight [p](I've got a pizza stone on my main grate for indirect cooking and another grate over a drip pan...

• Daddyo,
    Good points...as cold as it's supposed to get I hope I put enough lump in, filled it up pretty high I think....[p]

• BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    OhioBoy in DC,[p]I'd put the brisket *under* the butts and allow them to baste the brisket.
  • Chuck
    bnb.jpg
    <p />OhioBoy in DC,[p]Good luck with your cook. Are you putting the brisket directly on the butts? The photo is of my setup for low-n-slows. Inverted plate setter, drip pan, grid and grid extender. Let us know how it all turns out.[p]Chuck[p]
  • Chuck,[p]Looks good!