Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

why does everybody like wicked good?

Chainsmoker
Chainsmoker Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've never seen it in my area so I haven't tried it.
Ryan

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Long burn time, not a lot of ash,burns clean so not a lot of bad smoke, use would chips or chuncks if you want smoke flavor of choice.

It can be a little hard to light as it's dense.

I only have one bag left that I brought out to AZ. from CA. because a guy ordered a pallet and some of agreed to split the price of it.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Guess I was to lazy to look it up for him. :unsure:

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • It gets great reviews. I just acquired 4 - 22 Pound bags from a local distributor. Incredibly dense stuff compared to Cowboy, my usual standby because it's readily available. I've only opened one of the bags and the chunks are huge.

I loaded the large up halfway thru the fire ring and cooked 4 butts overnight. She held rock steady for 12 hours. Snuffed with the rain cap and closed bottom vent.

Cooked monday night using what was left. There was enough charcoal there to cover the holes in the firebox by 2 inches. I had a lot of pork fat on the coals and had to burn for an hour to get the smoke to clear. Cooked thighs raised direct to 205º internal, which took about 40 minutes and then asparagus, raised direct for maybe 15 minutes.

Tuesday night, still had plenty of charcoal to do a whole beef tenderloin cut into 6" chunks (about 30 minutes to 140º internal), followed by broccoli spear, raised direct for another half hour.

There's probably enough charcoal left to cook a few more nights. So far, I love the stuff.

That being said, it's pretty pricey. I paid $21 per bag for the stuff, but I'll definitely keep some of it around.

Naked Whiz Review of Wicked Good Weekend Warrior Lump

Wicked Good's Site

You can search for distributor's on their site. Or mail order, but the shipping could be a killer.

Joe
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Pieces are typically large - in fact last Sunday I opened a new bag and dumped out one chunk of lump that was nearly football size! Didn't think to take a picture but whacked it with my gridlifter and it broke easily into smaller pieces.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    It helps to live close to the warehouse... :woohoo: :)

4109697825_d0cd7ba757_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    First hand experience it burns 2X longer than Cowboy and you don't get all those little tiny pieces. Unfortunately I have to go to Chicago to get it. I'm thinking about getting a pallet to make it through to spring. :)
  • Personally, I don't.

Mike
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    I don't! Can't stand the stuff actually. Give me Big Green Egg charcoal all day.

-Kevin
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • I don't have as much eggsperience as most of the other folks on the forums, but I am addicted to Ozark Oak. It is by far the best lump that I have ever used.
  • Cowboy is the worst lump you can buy.

Mike
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    I like the way it burns but unlike the others this is what I found in my last bag and haven't bought another since.

101_3018.jpg
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Just a personal preference. I had a hard time keeping it lit unless I was cooking at lava temps or running a guru on it. I think it is overpriced as well. Just giving my two cents. I have used it, did not like it and went back to BGE charcoal. I know how the BGE charcoal is going to burn each time, and that consistency is enough for me.

-Kevin
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Kevin- you ought to try Royal Oak (Made in USA, not South America).

I understand that BGE lump is made by R.O.

Where I am BGE lump = $22 per 20lb bag
    R.O lump = $15 per 20 lb bag.

now with the 18 lb bags I don't know if that cost comparison is still accurate, but I think it is.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Put me in the "not a big fan" camp. It is OK, I guess, but in my opinion not worth the added cost. I think the brand got its reputation from the competition blend and not the weekend warrior product currently on the market.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with it. It is a good product, just not worth the premium price in my book.

And another thing I don't get is the love affair with the "huge chunks" of lump. I can't understand what makes the giant pieces better than those 2-3". Maybe I'm just dense.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I agree, Rod, about the price and the huge pieces. Regardless of brand when I find a large piece I smack it to break it up. BTW you have been MIA for some time now...bag a bunch of deer did you?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Whatcha payin so close to'em?
  • Ripnem
    Sure haven't experienced any of those characteristics. I light it with a torch and can't imagine a better lump. :)
  • Ripnem
    That is Wicked Good? :huh:

I only see about 12 pieces that small. :ermm:
  • I just picked up a pallet of 11 lb bags from the warehouse in Mass, and it came to $6.33 per bag, plus 1/2 tank of gas. By comparison, the local Home Despot sells 8.8 lb bags of Cowboy for $6.99 plus 6.25% tax. Great deal for much better charcoal. Unfortunately, probably not so good once you get out of New England.

-John
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    I don't like it. I was able to test both the comp grade and the WW grade several years ago.

Upsides - low ash and real long burn times.

Downsides - No flavor on it's own. I mean none. I had to add more flavor wood than I normally would, and it was still hard to get my meat to pick up the flavor I'm used to.

Best uses - The folks that don't like a smoky flavor on their food will like this fuel ..... It would also be wonderful for bread bakers since they need a super clean burning bed of coals.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Ripnem
    Some retail prices are too high for sure. My dealer is at 25.95 for 22 #s. Regarding the big pieces...I know I can bust them up, but I have gotten 3 bags of tiny bits from RO and ya just can't do anything with the small stuff. When purchasing WG with a group, by the pallet, it is a great buy. Considering that it does last 2-3 X as long as anything I have used. I get a pretty nice deal on tore up bags from the local distributer and hope to use it for life.

Pretty surprised to here negative stuff about it.
  • Fidel
    Who said anything negative about it?
  • Fidel
    Hey Ron,

All my spare time the past 4 weeks has been spent in the woods or working through recap issues at work.

Fun times.
  • Ripnem
    Couple guys above and now I see Wayne doesn't dig it. I haven't notice the NON smoke flavor issue. I guess when I want smoke I just make sure I get it with some chunks r chips.
  • Ripnem
    John,
    Now that's fricken cheap. I have a pretty good deal of .50 a pound for tore up bags. I just bring contractor bags and throw two+ in each and buy what I want. The guy that hooks me up is buying by the freight car. So I bet he is still making money off me. I didn't think he was until your post. I'm buying better than my dealer. :laugh:
  • Depends on the quantity.

I had a 60-bag pallet of the 22-lb bags shipped to me (Northern Indiana) two years ago (I think I'm set for life :blink: ) and IIRC the price per bag was in the $9.00 range.

With delivery (to my employer, so no lift gate or residential surcharges) I think it came to around $13 a bag, or about 60 cents per pound - the same as Royal Oak at Walmart.

I like the low ash, long burn, large pieces (always easy to make smaller if needed), and low to non-existent native smoke flavor. Lets me control the smoke flavor without having to fight the lump.

Tom
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    im only familar with the comp blend, no real experience with the newer weekend warrior. i like the longer burn times because i was burning way to much lump the first few years as an egger. now the old complump has no real flavor which i think is a good thing if you want to taste the smoking wood more. my favorites in this order were mapleleaf (not availible in the states anymore but this is some of the nicest smelling lump out there) ozark oak which tastes the best all on its own, and wg comp blend for when i want to taste those smoking woods cleanly and for cooks when i dont want lump flavor. never had the startup issues people complain about, temp control from 145 to 1200 has always been fine for me with this lump, no guru controller here. the best part was its cheap if bought at the distrubution centers in volume here in newengland. when i first started egging the only cheap lump here was quickjoe from the true value and it was similar to cowboy, maybe not even as good as cowboy lump which i consider pretty poor for most cooks, it does have a place if you find it cheap enough.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I paid $13 per 22-lb bag, plus they threw in an extra ripped bag. :) Retail at a local store is $23.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut