Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Sauce

Options
Tom
Tom Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm about to try pulled pork for the first time. This is to take to a Super Bowl party on Sunday. I am thinking of using the recipe for Carolina Pulled Pork as listed under Pork at this website. I have a couple questions. 1) What would be the best cut of port to use, a shoulder, perhaps? 2) After I pull the pork, would it be better to serve the sauce on the side, maybe two different sauces, or should I just mix some BBQ sauce and serve it like that. If the former, I would like a couple different sauces, one of them on the hot side. Any ideas? Thanks....Tom

Comments

• Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    For pulled pork you definitely need a shoulder.[p]For sauce, I usually put some on the meat when I shred it, but not too much. If some people want it hotter or want more sauce taste they can always add it later, but you can't take it off.[p]A couple of sauces is a good idea if you are not in an indigenous BBQ zone like North Carolina, where you will invariably anger someone with your choices.[p]Western Carolina BBQ is, of course, a good choice for *this* Superbowl![p]Bob V
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Tom, you want a butt which is actually the shoulder of the pig. The next piece down is called the picnic shoulder and it's also pretty good for pulling. As for sauces, I suggest serving it with none and have two or three available. You will invariably find one or two folks who want no sauce and they will be impressed that you can serve it that way and it is good. For those who want sauces, I would suggest doing a mustard based and one or two ketchup based. A mild and a hot would be a good combination. Most mustard sauces are fairly spicy but they are my favorite. Go to Chef and the Fatman's web site and try their red and yellow BBQ sauces. They are both pretty good.

[ul][li]Chef and the Fatman Yellow Sauce[/ul]
  • Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    Tom,[p] How about some "Carolina Red" sauce? (2 cups)
    1 1/2 c. cider vinegar
    1/2 c. ketchup
    1 tbl. sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. cayenne or red hot pepper flakes [p]Combine all ingredients to dissolve sugar. Serve at room temp. or chilled. Keeps indefinitely.
    (Courtesy of Smoke & Spice)[p] Easy Mustard Sauce
    Equal parts of cheap yellow mustard, honey and apple cider vinegar. Quick, simple and very tasty.
    I cannot take credit for this sauce 'cause it was given to me by someone on this forum. I'll be damned that I can't remember who. God bless 'em though. It really is good stuff!! Enjoy that party!! Mac

• Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    Options
    3398498323232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D85%3C%3D%3B77%3DXROQDF%3E232349%3A%3B49%3A77ot1lsi
    <p />Tom,
    My wife and I really liked the Piedmont sauce we got from Elder Ward's recipe. Here it is quoted from his recipe (we used regular ketchup):[p]Western North Carolina (Piedmont) style sauce
    · 1 C ketchup (Hot type)
    · 1 C water (bottled plain if you have fluorinated/treated) yuck:~(
    · ¼ C apple cider vinegar
    · 1 onion chopped fine
    · 3 cloves crushed garlic or 1 clove elephant garlic from Gilroy, CA
    · 2 Tbs. brown sugar
    · 2 Tbs. molasses (How can y'all have Mo lasses if you ain't had lasses da furst time?)
    · 2 Tbs. dry mustard (Coleman's English double fine is good)
    · 1 tsp. cayenne or one fresh cut into ringlets seeds and all.
    Simmer for twenty minutes over low heat.[p]The last 10 minutes of cooking time you can use it as a glaze. Again not my favorite but it looks good and taste good, I like to put it still steaming in the middle of the table and dip my piece of pork into it — kind of fondue style.[p]

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    Daddyo,[p]Now that reminds me of a joke my momma tol me once..[p]
    seems there was a momma mole..a poppa mole..and a little baby mole..and they was all in their little mole hole..and the mommma mole stuck her head outta the hole..and sniffed the air..and came back and said to the other moles..."hmm that's weird ..somethin smells sweet out there"..so the poppa mole wiggles his way out to the front of the mole hole opening..and wiggling his nose in the air..sniffs a few times..and and says "..hmm..yep smells almost like sugar"..and then the baby mole..tryin desperately to make his way towards the opening of the hole..which was blocked somewhat by the momma and poppa mole..who were both standin there..their noses stickin out the opening of the hole..trying to figure out the smell..got as far as the poor little bugger could.and then...in a tiny sad muffled little voice .. "sniff ..sniff..sniff smells like mole-asses to me"[p]StumpBaby (startin to smell good in Peterborough)

• Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    Options
    StumpBaby,
    Good to see the neurons are firing in this cold. Have you donated your body to science? Someone needs to study your brain.

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    Daddyo,[p]There's a waitin list for the parts...with the brain line seemingly the longest of them all..sadly..I noticed..there ain't nobody on the reproductive organs list...such is the life of a Stump.[p]StumpBaby

• MID-SOUTH CAROLINA MUSTARD SAUCE (from the FAQ)
    Makes 2-1/2 cups.   [p]1 cup cider vinegar
    6 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
    4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
    1 cup vegetable oil
    2 teaspoons salt
    Ground black pepper

Mix all ingredients, including pepper to taste, in medium bowl.
    This is my favorite for P-P.
        [p]

• Tom
    Tom Posts: 189
    Options
    Tom,[p]Hey! Thanks for all your replies. This helped a lot. I'll be back for more.[p]Tom