Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Damp Gone

Options
Brian0527
Brian0527 Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just happened to mentioned to the sales lady where I buy my lump at that I thought it was slower lighting than the Big Green Egg brand. She mentioned it may just be getting damp.

I do recall my grate dripping when I set it out to add lump. She pointed me to a product they sell called "Damp Gone" for $10 and boy oh boy is it great. I cleaned my egg all up good and hung this stuff in there like it said and checked it less than 24 hours later and my grate and all was dry as a bone but that bag of stuff was wet from soaking up all the moisture....WELL WORTH $10 plus you can dry it out when it is soaked and use it over and over again.

If you have moisture issues, this is a must have product!

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Brian....Glad you were able to find a product that works for you, but I have a couple of questions. Where do you live that moisture is such an issue? We live in South Florida, and even with our high humidity, have never had a moisture issue.
    Are you using water in the Egg to clean it? Or cleaning the grid while in the Egg? Just curious how so much moisture can be generated. Looking forward to your reply. Thanks! :)
  • bcrawfo2
    Options
    I had mold in my egg after I didn't use it for a week or so. This was when my egg was pretty new...so I didn't have a lot of experience lighting lump.
    I posted and got the idea to put a low wattage bulb (about 15 watts) in the egg. This keeps my egg mold-free and I bet keeps any residual lump a little try.

I live in Northern Delaware...btw.
    Scott
  • Brian0527
    Options
    I live in North Texas. I don't know why I get so much moisture. When I'm done with a cook, the rain cap goes back on to shut the egg down and then it stays there until the next cook. I've never used water inside the egg.

I did see something mentioned about water dripping down the thermometer so I suppose that could be happening to me. We've had a ton of rain since I got my LBGE. On second thought though, there was no rain between the time I put the damp gone inside and when I checked it. Any thoughts on what to use to seal around the thermometer if that's needed?