Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chicken wings - direct or indirect?

Options
ccmoo
ccmoo Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,

Preparing a few different flavors of chicken wings for the BGE today. Most recipes call for 250 degrees, but I've seen some recipes that call for direct heat and others that call for indirect. I'm wondering what's worked best for y'all?

If it helps, none of the recipes will have butter in them, but all will be marinating before they're on the Egg.

Have a great Saturday!

Comments

• milesofsmiles
    Options
    I'am doing direct rat now. 400 d's. ci grid on a wooII on the med. egg.
    Will sauce with orange marmalade and sriracha Hot chili sauce, and some will be sauced with teriyaki. Will have cayenne powder stand by if we need a warmer flav. Cook well, enjoy and Smiles to you.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I always do mine on a raised grate at about 325 - 350.

There is no wrong answer.

I rarely cook indirect except things that basically must be direct, like pizza, lo-n-slo, etc.
  • SGT BBQ
    SGT BBQ Posts: 190
    Options
    Direct on a raised grid will give you a nice crispy skin.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    This may be a little late, but after several tries, I adopted a method from "Fishlessman" where I use as little lump as I can (about 1/2 of the firebox) and a raised grid (top on an adjustable rig - about 2" above the rim of my large). This gives me the maximum distance between the lump and the food. 400* dome, direct. I cook until internal temp reaches about 200*, flipping and/or hot-spot moving as necessary. They turn out very crispy and the "Princess" thinks they are the best wings she has ever had. I sauce them with whatever I'm using after they are done and place back on briefly to 'set' the sauce.

BTW, I do not marinade mine, but I think they should come out the same.

Post your results !
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    I do mine raised direct at 350ish.
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    As others have said, there is no right or wrong answer. I do mine with high indirect heat, about 40-45 minutes at 400, usually with apple wood smoke. I like doing them indirect because you don't have to turn them, and there's a lot less risk of them burning. Since I'm usually making them as an appetizer for a party, I have other things going on at the same time, so a lower impact method is better for my needs. I find that doing them at a high heat still crisps them enough for my tastes.

6a00e5502e1c01883401116846a521970c-800wi

Here's a link to my general technique, and a recipe for a really spicy buffalo sauce.

http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2009/02/recipe-spicy-grilled-buffalo-wings-guest-post-from-fearless-grill.html

Enjoy!

-John
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    I just did a couple dozen dry rubbed on my raised grid at 325 or so. Turned out great.

Doug