Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

salute to my favorite vet on veterans day

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
dad.jpg

he enlisted in the army in march 1943, a poor kid in brooklyn, nyc. . .his life's goal was to go to west point after reading the writings of col. red reader. . .he had rarely ever even been out of new york city. . .a product of the depression, his dad was a deli man, carving corned beef and pastrami in various restaurants and delis across new york city. . .but he took a chance that his only way to get into west point was to enlist in the army (i once asked him why he didn't try to get a congressional appointment like most kids and his response was "no way an irish congressman from brooklyn was going to give a jewish kid a conressional appointment!" . .and that was that) ... so even in the middle of WWII, he took that chance. . .and at a time when the greatest need in WWII was for junior officers, the army recognized his 'smarts', and after basic training sent him off to prep school for a year, and then to west point. . .he graduated with honors in 1947, a member of the corp of engineers. .. served in the army until 1972. ...retired a full colonel. . .along the way, he fought in korea, earned a silver star for galantry in action on bitter cold night at the chosin reservoir in november 1950. . .walked out of the chosin reservoir along side the 1st marines and was among the last few americans out of north korea on christmas morning 1950 as the army engineers and navy demo crews destroyed the docks at wonson, north korea . ..returned to the states and continued a distinguished career, primarily in army research and development ... . served a tour in vietnam in 69/70, when many of his peers retired rather than go to an unpopular war. . he still did his duty . . .

even after he retired, he continued to serve . ..always stayed involved as part of the west point alumni society ... always foresighted enough to welcome change (like women at the academies) . . .fought hard for benefits earned by vets. . .he used to live in the same building as senator john warner of virginia, and would have many discussions with him regarding pending legislation regarding veterans benefits, his common theme being "when i signed up in 1943, i upheld my end of the bargain, I now expect Uncle Sam to uphold his end of the bargain with Me!!" (i.e. don't cut my retirement benefits) .... even today, in his mid 80s, he continues to give back to his fellow servicemen. . . over the past 15 years, he has been heavily involved with the National Military Families Association (NMFA). ..this organization is solely dedicated to helping/assisting the families of our servicemen/women, everything from getting them financial help, to bettering their living conditions, to loans, even cutting coupons to aid in their daily shopping. . .he has served on their board of directors, helping the organization build up their viability over the years, etc. . .even today, at 84, he still helps them out whenever they need him. ..

so just a little shout out to my favorite vet, my dad, bob rosen .. .still out there doing his thing at 84 (he'll be 85 in january). . .i still don't make an important move in my life without consulting him first!! . ..

thanks to all the vets for their service this veterans day. ...

and to bring it all close to home, my bro-in-law, just landed in country in iraq this week to begin a 6 month tour of duty at the big hospital at bagram AFB hospital there at bagdad ....he is (i think i have this right) the chief surgeon there. . .important work, saving the lives of our kids (and the locals) that get wounded over there. . .he does good work!!!

Comments