Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Great meal and a vegetarian question

singram
singram Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I was supposed to be on an airplane going from Florida to Maine. My flight out of Gainesville was delayed by so much that I would not make my connections so I went back home instead. My wife suggested we go out for dinner, but I thought we'd do better at home. I fired up the grill while she ran to the store and got a couple of lamb chops. A simple salad, grilled garlic toast and lamb chops with olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary. Couldn't have found a better meal :)[p]Now the question. I'm planning on doing pulled pork for a group. Some in the group are vegetarians, does anyone have a suggestion of what to serve?[p]Thnks,[p]Steve

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    singram,
    how about those portabella mushrooms everyone seems to be doing? I myself am a carnivore, so I can't share the recipe. Try doing an archive search and I'm sure you will find it. [p]~nikki

• singram,
    People recommend Portebellos because they look and kinda taste like meat. See the problem? I'd make a Tabbouleh salad and grill skewers of veggies basted with garlic/soy vinagrett. If you have a copy of the Thrill of the Grill, it has some good starts.

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    singram,
    Here's a spinach pie recipe submitted by RhumAndJerk. Though I haven't tried it on the Egg, I have made different versions of spinach/ricotta pies, which are very tasty. You could add a simple marinara sauce and a few basil leaves as a garnish before serving. Here's the recipe:

[p]Spinach Pie
    Submitted by: RhumAndJerk FrenchiePKT@Yahoo.com [p]Spinach Pie on the Big Green Egg
    This is a tasty treat that is also a hearty meal. It also qualifies a vegetarian meal, as long as you do not use lard in the piecrust. I have used different flavors of Feta cheese. My favorite is Peppercorn Feta. You could use frozen spinach. [p]Ingredients:
    Pastry for two 9” pie crusts
    2 bunches fresh spinach (about 1 pound), cooked and chopped
    1 Tbs butter
    8 oz Feta cheese, crumbled
    2 small onions, minced
    8 oz Ricotta cheese
    1 shallot, minced
    1 Dash nutmeg
    2 Tbs flour
    1 Dash hot sauce
    1 Cup milk
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    3 eggs, beaten [p]Preparation Directions:
    Rinse and clean the spinach well. Cook the spinach by placing in a pan over medium-low heat. Stir occasionally. In about 3-5 minutes, the spinach will be done. Place the cooked
    spinach in a sieve and allow to drain.[p]With your egg setup with firebricks or pizza stone, pre-heat to 400 degrees. [p]In a large saucepan, melt the butter and cook the onions and shallot until soft. Stir in the flour and mix it with the onions and shallots to form a roux. Add the milk and stir until it is
    thick. Remove from the heat and allow the mixture to cool. Slowly stir in the eggs. Press the spinach to remove as much of the water as possible, I even squeeze it my hands. Chop the
    spinach and add to the saucepan. Stir in the cheeses, nutmeg, hot sauce and salt and pepper. [p]Cooking Directions:
    Roll out one of the piecrusts between two sheets of wax paper and line a 9” pie plate. Prick the bottom crust with a fork. Cover with two sheets of tin foil and use pie weights. Bake the
    bottom crust for 20 minutes to allow it to set.[p]Remove the bottom crust from the egg. Spoon in the spinach filling and place the top crust on. Seal the crust and cut slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.[p]Bake the pie at 400 degrees for 45–60 minutes or until the top crusts is golden. Use a flashlight through the chimney to see the color of the top crust[p]Allow the pie to cool slightly before cutting. [p]
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    singram,
    Here's another vegetarian recipe I saved. I have made this, and it is very good. Note that it can be made ahead and served at room temp. Here's the copied recipe, verbatim:[p]

Eggplant & Pepper Salsa -- AMAZING!![p]
    Posted by Bama Fire on July 21, 2000 at 10:18:58:[p] Wow!!! The wife proclaimed this stuff the most delicious thing she's put in her mouth. YOU MUST TRY IT!! (I strongly dislike eggplant, but off the EGG in this salsa, it's great.)[p] I got this from the food network's web site (Bobby Flay cooked this on the
    first episode of grillin' & chillin') OK, credit has been given:[p] 2 eggplants, cut vertically into 1/2-inch thick slices
    2 red peppers, quartered and seeded
    2 yellow peppers, quartered and seeded
    2 red onions, sliced 1/2-inch thick
    1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    4 ounces soft goat cheese, crumbled
    2 tablespoons finely chopped oregano
    Salt and freshly ground pepper[p] I cooked at a 350 dome temp with no smoke.[p] OH, I cooked the peppers whole -- I carved them up after they were cooked.
    They were so juicy! I will start doing this on a regular basis.[p] Brush eggplant, peppers and onions on both sides with 1/4 cup of the oil
    and season with salt and pepper to taste. [I sprayed with Pam Olive oil
    and didn't even use salt and pepper -- I relied on the lump for the
    flavor. A good decision I think][p] Grill for 5 to 8 minutes on each side, until lightly golden brown and
    almost cooked through. Remove vegetables from grill and cut into 1/2-inch
    dice. Combine eggplant, peppers and onions in a medium bowl. Add remaining
    ingredients inluding the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season
    with salt and pepper, to taste.[p] Next time, I may add some EGGed hott peppers for a little more kick. All in all -- wonderful!

• Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    singram,
    I believe it was on this site that I first heard these words of wisdom - If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.[p]Cook em' a steak. Medium rare.