Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

stone crab claws - yum yum eat'um up!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMG_0720.jpg

These 9 claws weighting 2 pounds were last night's supper. What a delicacy! If you haven't tried them before you need to! Though they can be harvested from Oct to May our sole fish monger just carries them for 2 months a year so that may be true in your area too.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    RRP, they are my favorite crab, by far, that are available in Tampa. I had some fresh dungeness in Alaska that was in the same class, but not enough! Scott
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    thats pretty much the only seafood that i would go out of my way for if im outside newengland. ive only eaten fresh ones caught that day down in the bahamas and i think they were out of season, the owner of the place was very nervous when we were eating them :laugh: you should see the pile a hundred bucks given to a fisherman discretely can get you ;) man are those good
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Oh, I am hating you right now! :woohoo: They look great!
  • Slotmercenary
    Options
    Very tasty and well missed. We used to harvest fresh from out the backdoor at our dock when i stayed in Indian Rocks Beach Fla on the inland waterway.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Todd, you need not worry, I ate your share today. A friend invited me over for lunch. Pinot grigio, 3#'s stone crab and a deep fried soft shell crab.

Medium size are $9.99/lb. Beats filet at $12.95
  • Little Steven
    Options
    RRP,

Nothing like them. So good.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BigBlueEgg
    Options
    RRP, I have a contact that ships them nationwide from the Tampa area and am thinking about ordering some. What is the best way to prepare? Are they eggable?

Please email me any instructions.

Thanks,
    melcjr@gmail.com
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Yes and No. When they come off the boat they are steamed and ready to eat. When I buy them I eat cold with the following recipe. some like hot butter and lemon juice. Your choice. Sometimes they have been frozen and need to be heated. Had lunch with a friend and we shared 3#'s of mediums $9.99/pound. and some deep fried soft shell blue crab.

Sauce, Dip, Stone Crab, Joe's Miami

INGREDIENTS:
    3 1/2 Tsp Coleman Mustard seed
    1 Cup Mayonnaise
    2 Tbs Pea-Perrins
    1 Tsp A-1
    1/8 Cup Whippinjg Cream

Procedure
    1 Mix all together.

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Sauce

Recipe Source
    Source: Miami Magazine
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I have to laugh - that dip recipe is as stable as a you know what in a wind storm! I swear it is different every time I see it referenced!

I THINK that by law those claws HAVE to be cooked before shipping, so on our end they just need to be warmed via steaming. Yeah, guess a person could steam them in a pot in their BGE, but this just seems to work better inside for control sake since serving them hot and on time works. That means when I remove the number needed I drop the next number in. BTW did I mention that hot melted butter, let alone asparagus and even cold pineapple slices round out this meal to us!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    B):) I been LOOKIN for em!!! :)
  • tarheelforever
    Options
    I ate at Joe's Stone Crab's at South Beach on Monday. It was good but at $49 for 5 crabs it was expensive.