Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sold on the BGE

Options
Iburnit
Iburnit Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, after 3 months of looking at different smokers I have come to the conclusion the the Egg is what will be best for me. My questions are fairly basic like what do I need to get with the egg- "temp gauge,
nest, etc". I thank you for any replies and for this forum.[p]Iburnit

Comments

• Iburnit,
    You think your sold now... just wait until you own one!![p]Any Egg you buy should come with enough to start cooking ASAP. Of course, there are always buy ups.[p]Nest is not needed, but very handy. You will need a temp guage, but it should come with one. Then you can get into plate setters, for indirect cooking. A remote thermometer is probably a must too. From there, the buy ups are endless, but it's a fun journey![p]Good luck and welcome aboard!

• Iburnit
    Options
    Wardser,
    I cannot believe how fast replies come back from this board! That proves the following the BGE has. I cant wait until I get it.
    Iburnit

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Iburnit,
    Wait till you pull off those first few slabs of babyback ribs. I like a placesetter for indirect. You can sear steaks at 750 1 night and then go low and slow for 20 hours the next for pulled pork.
    Welcome,[p]CWM

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Iburnit,
    Short of some lump and firestarter of some sort..you dont "NEED" to get anything, several things you are going to wanna have are...[p]an ash tool
    the slide daisy, if it`s not included
    plate setter or firebricks for indirect cooking
    some type of welders gloves or the like for high temp cooks
    a thermometer for monitoring meat temps on lo and slo
    You can visit my webpage for some info, there are others out there also.....Welcome..[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Iburnit,
    First, welcome.
    Always come to the forum for recipes and help, do not use the BGE cook book, do fill out the warranty that is in the book and send it in, also, just in case, file your receipt away in the event you should need it. Make your first few cooks simple at first, there is a small learning curve but the forum members will walk you through anything you need help with. (They are still doing that for me two years later) LOL[p]Cheers,
    New Bob

• Bordello
    Options
    Iburnit,
    I forgot to mention the nest will raise the egg up so it's at a more comfortable height, my 3 eggs are still still sitting on the concrete patio, you just have to bend a little. LOL
    If you get the nest, my understanding is to always pull it rather then push it, by pulling it, if it hits a rock or something and starts to fall you can catch it, if you're pushing it and it tips you may not be able to stop it from falling. The egg is breakable. [p]If in a nest and you have strong winds secure it so the wind does not start her on a last voyage. [p]Cheers,
    New Bob
    getting older

• Buck Shot
    Options
    Iburnit,[p]Welcome! And if you do burn it on the egg it don't taste so bad, awfully forgiving. Hard to make a bad meal.
    Daisy wheel, temp gauge, ash tool should come with it.[p]I and most people on the forum probably prefer tables because they offer more workspace than the nest with side tables. Most folks build their own. [p]Do get -- remote thermomter -- V-Rack and aluminum throw away drip pans. After that toys o'plenty can come later.

• Iburnit
    Options
    New Bob,
    And everyone else, thanks for your replies. I am now looking for the best price for the BGE and will have one soon. I hope the Egg is really good as everyone says. I just cant believe that I dont know anyone who has one. Well actually out of all the friends that I have, I am the guy who does all the hobbies. My pals eat out a lot! lol
    Iburnit

• Bordello
    Options
    Buck Shot,[p]"Daisy wheel, temp gauge, ash tool should come with it".[p]I agree but it looks like many places are selling them separately. When I bought Mr. Large about two years ago it was just the egg and the snuff cap, everything else was extra. It should be a package deal.[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• Bordello
    Options
    Iburnit,
    You said:
    "I just cant believe that I don't know anyone who has one"[p]Just a thought, post here on the forum and ask if anyone is in your area, eggers are pretty friendly people, you never know, there may be an egger close by. What do you have to lose????????????? LOL[p]Good Luck,
    New Bob

• Iburnit,once you get your EGG and use it a little you will most likely say it's better than what they said. The only problem I see you having is your Pals. You need to set ground rules of how many times a week you are cooking for them once you get into Egging.The good folks here will lead you and it is easy to follow their lead. A great group!! Good Luck and have fun EGGING!! Poppasam

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    New Bob,[p]I believe within the last year, it's become more of a package deal. The small we just got came with daisy, rain cap, feet, cast iron charcoal grate, temp guage, video and cookbook (owners manual). The ash tool was a separate purchase. I think Julie here on the board is a dealer...maybe she can tell us what is "standard" these days. [p]Like you, when we bought our eggs, everything was separate. You had to have a wheeler dealer to get things added in as part of the sale.[p]Morning coffees to you,
    Tonia
    :~)

• BunkyRub
    Options
    Iburnit,
    I believe that you can find a dealer that will "throw in" several accessories as a way of offering a discount. I would suggest the following: Daisy Wheel, V-Rack, ash tool, dome thermometer and eventually a remote thermometer. A plate setter would be nice as well. Refer to the Naked Whiz's Table Gallery as source for table/cart ideas. Have fun!

• BunkyRub
    Options
    Iburnit,
    One other thought/suggestion...go with a table or cart to house the egg. The egg nest is a bit flimsy compared to a table/cart. Plus you get a work area that is invalueable-kind of like you can't have too much counter space in your kitchen.