Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Making the Most of a Burn

KatKat Posts: 46
edited 10:02AM in EggHead Forum
We're trying to make the most of each burn and I'm sure most of you do as well. Today we grilled burgers, stir fried Sweet & Sour Pork and now we've got whole onions roasting at a very low temp for a couple of hours. These are sooooo good to have on hand for pasta sauces, pizza toppings or soup. If I had any energy left I'd make a fruit crisp to pop in it as well.

Do you try to do the same? Would love to hear any of your favorite ways to make a burn count.

Kat

Comments

• BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    Fortunately the egg is an efficient lump burning machine, so not a lot is wasted.

But I do keep some cookie dough handy to toss on a few cookies when Im done and the egg is still hot with vents closed, especially in the summer.
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 19,279
    direct cooks burn alot less than inderect cooks, raised grates are a good investment. with the direct cooks you dont need as high a temp either. check out this direct butt cook and notice how little lump was used
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=507801&catid=1
  • KatKat Posts: 46
    That looks great, I'll definitely try a direct butt~

I guess what I'm talking about though is not only making the most of the lump, but of having a hot egg. Today I was able to make enough great food for a few days ahead, won't need to cook anything again till Sunday at best. So I'm talking about conserving time and energy as well as the lump :)