Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Apple Macintosh user here

Options
ILL--EGGER
ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Pulled the trigger on a new Imac last week on the day they announced the product change. Only had it a few days but must say i'm VERY impressed with it so far. I read someone saying that Apple = Just works. I have to agree it "just works" and seems so smooth and simple compared to the windows PC's i've always used.
Any other mac users out there that would like to chime in with hints or tips would be welcomed as I am very new to the whole system but haveing a blast with it so far!

Comments

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I think you will be very happy with it, just play around with it and don't forget the option key.

I got my first Mac in 1984, they have come a long way from those days. They almost didn't survive.
  • RiverFarm
    RiverFarm Posts: 216
    Options
    I've had Apples forever and I love 'em. No viruses and they don't crash - or very rarely if ever. Give a holler if you have questions; they're mostly pretty intuitive but if you're used to the Other Platform you'll find there are differences that could catch you up.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Welcome.
    Made the switch in the last two years as well.
    Dump you Mac one button mouse and buy a two button mouse so you can still "left" and "right" click.
    I can't shake this from my long PC life.
    Apple forum is very good.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RiverFarm
    Options
    Actually my mouse, an Apple product that came with my iMac, has both right and left click options plus a center button. Sometimes you need to right-click, to open up a page in a new window on Safari and other browsers, for instance.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I bought a Mac Book Pro a couple months ago and the only advise I could give you is don't over think it. They are straight forward and simple to use. -RP
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    We just bought an IMAC a few weeks ago.

There were a few days of - " daddy get me windows office products for MAC - which I did and now there's peace in the house."

Well, sort of...we have the single button mouse and the recent calls have been get me a mouse that works properly. I'm sure that I will indulge because the mouse drivers me crazy too.

Michael
  • RiverFarm
    Options
    Hmmm, I'm amazed that your iMac came with a single button mouse; mine came with a three-click Apple mouse. The sooner you get one of those the more peace you'll have, it sounds like!

I do run Office on my Mac; for a long time I resisted it, but people kept sending me Word files and eventually I had to give in. It does make it easier to get along in a PC world if you have it. But I use Mac Mail and Safari.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have a Mac at home and PC at work.
    I got the Mac originally because of fanatical following and I had used it pre-windows. I had a learning curve, but I love it and my kids are growing up "bi-lingual"- PCs at school/Mac at home.

I got a powerMac G4 in early 2002 and it's still cruising along. Just added a 1000 GB hard drive (1 Terabyte) so I should be set for a long time to come! I should also note that I have replaced my Mouse, Keyboard and recently my display monitor.

My PCs seemed to be good for about a year and then beyond that they would be straining.
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I have several Mac's and windows computers..

I love my Mac's because they work. If you are a linux guy you can "root" your Mac and run a most of the linux programs
  • SoonerChris
    Options
    Here are a couple of websites that have good tips and such. BTW, I tell all my friend that the fastest booting Windows machine I have ever seen was my Macbook Pro.

Mac Forums
    Mac Rumors Forum
  • ILL--EGGER
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice and comments. The new Imac's come with the "Magic Mouse" and we are really enjoying it so far. Give it a try or atleast check it out at the online site. Very nice indeed with bluetooth technology so no extra USB's being used (same with keyboard). Very straight forward so far and it does seem to "just work" as everyone has been telling me.
  • thegrillster
    Options
    Control click on the mac=right click I believe