Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Toppings?

Options
Bacchus
Bacchus Posts: 6,019
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was searching online last night for suggestions of good combinations of toppings. A couple I plan to try soon are "pesto/shrimp" & "goat cheese/fresh basil/pine nuts".
My stand by is "Sausage/Feta/Carmelized Onion" but I'm looking to change it up a bit.

What are some of your favorites?

Thanks! :P

Comments

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    I like most anything, but a plain old peperoni and onion is my favorite. I don't like chicken, pineapple or bbq on my pizza.
    DSC_0093.jpg
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Anchovies are my favorite topping for pizza. Tom
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i like the sound of the goat cheese and pine nuts. fresh basil pizza is a standby here. probably not seen in most of the country is chourico or linguica pizza, love the chourico. i like the pizzas simple :)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    This looks good to me. A thin crust Margherita (sp?) with sauce, mozz and fresh basil Might add some pepperoni. Now if I could just figure out how to get mine to look like this one!

varasano-0022.jpg

Otherwise, pepperoni, Italian sausage, green pepper and mozz has always been a favorite of mine.

Now you've got me wanting a pizza! Too bad I have a 1 1/2" pork chop waiting for tonight's meal.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Italian sausage and pepperoni for me. -RP
  • fishlessman
    Options
    now if you just want to go crazy with a pizza, i think this is a pizza anyways :laugh:
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=640521&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

• Bacchus
    Options
    CQ, I was gonna blame my "having pizza on the brain" on you. But I guess it was me who brought it up when we spoke last night.... :whistle:
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Yep, I do believe you started it. :) As if the power of (food) suggestion was a rarity around here! :woohoo:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ross in Ventura
    Options
    DSC_0027-6.jpg
    I like Pepperoni, sweet Italian Sausage, mushrooms caramelized onions mozzarella cheese, and romano cheese

Ross
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Pesto makes a great base. I've done pesto and shrimp (as you mentioned), pesto and cheese, or pesto cheese and sausage.
    IMG_1966.jpg

We also love BBQ chicken pizza. BBQ sauce instead of tomato sauce, cheddar and jack cheeses, and chopped grilled chicken, also good with caramelized onions and/or bacon.
    IMG_3665.jpg
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    Pepperoni, peperocini (chopped), "wahfer thin" slivers of red onion.
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    When we want to impress guests the Classico Chicken Alfredo Pizza is our go to pie...the roasted garlic & onions get your mouth watering way before you start cooking the pie:

Classico Alfredo Chicken Pizza

Ingredients

1 16oz jar Classico Creamy Alfredo Sauce
    Pizza dough
    2 chicken breasts
    1 whole garlic clove
    1 whole sweet onion (if available)
    Mozzarella Cheese
    or 4 Cheese Italian Blend
    ¼ cup Pine Nuts
    Fresh Basil
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Oregano

Directions

Prepare enough dough for 2 pies. Place garlic in aluminum foil and lightly coat with olive oil. Place onion in aluminum foil with olive oil. Roast both garlic and onion on your BGE indirect at 350 for 1 hour or until done..
    While the onion & garlic are roasting, cook chicken breasts until done (160 internal) and slice very thin.

Take dough and prepare on floured surface. Sprinkle oregano lightly on dough. Spread approximately ½ half jar of Alfredo Sauce on the dough. Place breast of 1 sliced chicken on the sauce. Slice up ½ of the onion and place on dough and do the same with the garlic, squeezing out garlic oil as you put on the dough. Spread pine nuts on pizza. Cover with Mozzarella cheese or cheese blend and place 3-4 basil leaves on the pie. Lightly coat dough edges with olive oil..

Bake on BGE at 500 degrees for 8-12 minutes. I bake pizzas with my platesetter feet down. Put the egg feet on the platesetter and the pizza stone on the feet. Place the pizza stone on the BGE about 20 minutes before cooking pies. I use a Echo pizza pie pan from Target. This recipe will make two 15” pies.

Recipe adapted from original recipe from Bobby Cresap (aka Bobby Q)

Try it...I promise you will love it...
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I make one for the kids...It is a cheeseburger pizza...

Ketchup + mustard for the sauce
    cooked hamburger then I put on a few red onions then cheddar cheese cook that and top it with some lettuce and some pickles! Oh and sometimes bacon. . Everyone love's it!

I also love doing a kind of Philly pizza. No sauce but I take steak and grill it. Slice it as thin as I can.
    That is the first layer. Next comes lots of Havarti and provolone cheese all topped off with grilled peppers and onions.

My favorite is Cajun chicken pizza. I make a pesto out of cilantro and use that as a sauce. I add some grilled chicken that had a lot of Cajun spices on it. Then red onion rings and top that with Provolone cheese and some tomato chopped up!

And for desert I do a Fig pizza.

I precook a dough. Then I spread a cream cheese that has been infused with walnut oil, cinnamon and a few chopped walnuts. I put slices of mission figs and prosciutto on that and drizzle with some honey and then warm on the egg!...

Need more ideas let me know..
  • hizzoner
    hizzoner Posts: 182
    Options
    my favorite combo is: canadian bacon, breakfast bacon, sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, onions and jalepenos
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Ham, pineapple, sliced almonds.

Pepperoni, onion, jalapeno
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Ron,

Little fishes, rosemary, goat cheese, caramelised onions and BOMBA

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BDogD
    BDogD Posts: 14
    Options
    One my current girlfriend makes - Buffalo Chicken

Ranch dressing as the sauce, topped with cooked chunks of chicken breast tossed and warmed with buffalo sauce. Topped with mozz and provelone and of course, blue cheese crumbles.
  • SoonerChris
    Options
    Haven't made any pizzas yet on the EGG but will doing them in the near future.

I love me some meatball pizza though!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    EVOO base, sea salt, rosemary, crushed pistachios, chopped garlic, bits of prosciutto scattered around. Then a lump of fresh mozz for each slice, and grated parmesan all over. Sometimes add a bit of basil pesto to the EVOO base. Maybe a sprinkle of red pepper flakes.
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Some great suggestions, very much appreciated.

Tom & Steve, I am intrigued with the Anchovies. I have always shied away from them, but I keep hearing what great flavor they have.
    Any advise on using it/them? Are they canned, fresh, etc?
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i see them packed in jars. not a big fan of the whole fish on my pies, but if you take one in a hot skillet with a little oil and stir/ smash with a fork they quickly break up and just a little mixed back into the sauce disapears but adds another dimension to the sauce, sometimes just a little ground pepperoni to the sauce as well cooking the sauce and then cooling for the pizza. i put one layer of this sauce in the midle of lasagna as well and the rest gets layers of regular sauce. i think its called putaneska sauce but not sure of the name or spelling :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    was close, the sauce has olives and capers as well, but the anchovies and ground pepperoni does work well ;)
    http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/17750/putanesca-sauce.html
    fukahwee maine

• Little Steven
    Options
    Ron,

You can get them canned, in jars in oil or salt packed. The salt packed ones should be soaked in a couple of changes of water before use. They are very salty on their own. As fishlessman said the dissolve really easily in the sauce. I do a double layer of the whole filets on my pizza but I really like them. You can chop or break them into smaller pieces when you try them first. Lots of people just hate them. They are the prominent flavour in Worchestershire sauce and Caesar salad dressing.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    Options
    its one of those things i dont tell people when serving, never say anchovy or fish sauce. :laugh: and then you see someone that hates those things ruining a good steak with a gallon of worcestershire sauce
    fukahwee maine

• Little Steven
    Options
    I was joking with Rusty Rooster via e-mail about that. If I told my wife and family what some of the ingredients in their favourite meals I make they would hate what they now love. Fish sauce and anchovies are at the top of the list.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Options
    fishlessman wrote:
    ... but if you take one in a hot skillet with a little oil and stir/ smash with a fork they quickly break up...

And if you take that anchovy oil (evoo and maybe more than just one anchovy) and toss it with some pasta and steamed or sauteed broccoli, makes for some good eats. Don't forget the garlic toast.

I know it's not pizza, but it's still good. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut