Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm new - want to cook prime rib for 12. Should I use drip pan? What temperature? Any other help would be appreciated. I would like it crusty on the outside and juicy on the inside. Thanks

Comments

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Rio,[p] Check the archives for Elder Ward's high-temperature prime rib method-- that'll definitely get it crusty for you. Several people have tried that method (search archives) and had awesome results.[p] You could also do it just like I did the chuck roast this weekend (see my post below), however, I think I'd skip the marinade/brine for a good piece of meat like prime rib. Basically: sear it, cook it over a drip pan at 250 until the internal temp gets to 110, then cook at 500 until the internal temp gets to 130. Let it rest for another 20 minutes or so to get the temps and juices equalized.[p]-MikeO
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Rio,
    350-400 deg and with or without a drip pan will work. You can always bump up the temp near the end of the cooking time if you need more char. I used a drip pan but might not if doing a small roast. Your going to have a big one for 12 so I would go drip pan. I would eggsperiment with that before going off and exposing expensive meat to 600+ deg. [p]JMHO
    Tim - link below has pic of prime rib

[ul][li]Tim's BGE Cookbook[/ul]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Rio,
    Tim M, pretty much ball parked it..Prime rib is so easy its like falling off a Mercedes..er ?? Use a drip pan. and just lay a simple grill on top of it. Put in some liquid's, beer, apple cider, to keep the pan cooler. Cook till inside center meat is around 135 degrees for Medium Rare. Season if for the first round PR with just plain salt and pepper, and get fancier as you go along. Makes the next exercise even more exciting..:-)
    Good luck..