Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's an ABT?

Options
Mike in NH
Mike in NH Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, I'll ask the dumb question.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,923
    Options
    Mike in NH,
    jalenpo pepper cut in half, deseeded and deveined, stuffed with pulled pork or any other meat you desire, topped with cream cheese and then wrapped with bacon that has been pinned with a toothpick - then smoked - TERRIFIC EATING!!!

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    RRP,[p]Whoa, now that's a variation I haven't tried! PP on the bottom and cream cheese on the top. I've always stuffed with cream cheese then top with PP or chorizo, then wrap with bacon.[p]Chuck
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    3395%3B%3A4%3B23232%7Ffp66%3Dot%3E2327%3D8%3A4%3D933%3Dxroqdf%3E2323378967753ot1lsi
    <p />Mike in NH,
    ABT stands for (Atomic Buffalo Turds) but the fun of calling them that has worn off so Eggheads just use the initials. They are fantastic as treats. I make mine with Little Smokie cocktail sausages, cream cheese and bacon. I sometimes sprinkle some seasonings but it depends on my tastebuds. I cook mine direct at about 350° and turn often until done, about 30 minutes. Here's what one of mine looks like on the inside. [p]Just had some last night and now you've got me want some more. Happy New Year[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 164
    Options
    Mike in NH,
    Not a dumb question at all. I was on the forum for about two weeks before I stumbled across the answer. Now that you know, I'd suggest firing off the egg and having a go with some peppers. I took two dozen to a party last night and they didn't last 5 minutes. [p]By the way, folks, an ABT with a steamed oyster on top is so good it would make a Southern boy slap his momma![p]Doc

• RRP
    Options
    chuckls,
    I made them your way the first time and noticed the p/p dried out and in switching the two the real benefit gained is that the cheese then melts and surrounds the p/p.

• Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Options
    Mike in NH,[p]Heres a basic recipe for them if you would like to give them a try.
    [ul][li]Atomic Buffalo Turds[/ul]
  • Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Options
    Boccie,[p]Sorry, should have added this one too.
    [ul][li]ABT recipe pictures[/ul]
  • RRP
    Options
    Mike in NH,
    another point to be made here is how the peppers are cut. As you see in Spring Chicken's picture his are cut in the middle and then stuufed and cooked in an upright position. They even sell special stands for that position. OTOH I cut my peppers lengthwise so they look like a little boat. To clean the seeds and veins I use a serated edged spoon made for eating grapefruit. Those little saw-like teeth makes quick work. Another hint - and don't take this idea lightly - is to wear plastic or latex gloves while cleaning the peppers. The juice is mightly painful in the eye or "other parts" that you might touch. Iffin I'm doing a lot of ABTs I even wear a dust mask as prolonged breathing of those fumes hurt my sinuses and even lungs one time.

• Chris
    Chris Posts: 148
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]Somewhat off-topic, but what kind of camera did you use for the photo of the ABT?[p]Chris... looking forward to posting some pictures

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Chris,
    Sony Digital Mavica. I've had it a few years and technology has come a very long way since then. But it still takes good photos and serves me well. The thing I like about it is that it uses standard floppy computer disks to store photos on. I will never run out of them.[p]If you are shopping for a digital camera some of the Eggheads can probably offer advice. If you already have a digital camera just play with it and post some photos on the Forum. Everyone loves to see pictures of BGE dishes.[p]Happy New Year[p]Spring Chicken

• VaDave
    VaDave Posts: 21
    Options
    RRP,[p] YES, I second your note about wearing gloves and other "pepper prophylactics." The first time I made ABT's, I did the cutting and seed removal barehanded, and about 30 minutes after I finished, my hands started burning and itching severely. The pain actually got quite intense, and my hands were all red and swollen. I found out later that it was basically a first-degree chemical burn...depends on how fresh the peppers are. The fresher they are, the less of the capsicum in them that will have oxidized already.[p]By the way, it wasn't too bad...the pain went away in about....3 hours. ouch!