Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Northern Cooking?

Rick2U
Rick2U Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All. I just finished reading about 20-30 posts here and I am pretty well convinced on buying the EGG tomorrow but was concerned about cooking in the colder temperatures. My propane is gutless even at 0C.(32F) I do a lot of open fire cooking at my cottage over the pit and there is nothing like it. I am hoping that the EGG will do that for me in the city where it goes down below -44C. No fear of it cracking at those temps?

Comments

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Rick2U,
    We had some extremes of -15 to -20 F this past winter, and both Eggs preformed flawlessly for me! I never had a propane or WSM work that way in such cold temps! I think you'll see absolutely no problems!
    BTW, welcome to the forum! It's a great bunch of people here! All of them willing to help at a moments notice. The recipes and hints you get here, all work! They've been tried and developed by the 'Pros'! Again, welcom and jump right in there and get ta Egging! :^)[p]Dr. Chicken

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Rick2U,
    My BGEs sit outside all year here in Michigan. Sometimes I even remember to put the cover on the big one before we get a major snowstorm. When the weather gets ugly, the mini sits right outside my back door, and for some really, really wierd reason, the worse the weather gets, the more I seem to cook on the eggs. Maintaining temps is no problem for the BGEs - only for the cooks; check the archives for Earl's pics of his mini as his preferred ice fishing companion!
    Bone appétit! J Appledog

• Rick2U
    Dr. Chicken, Thanks for the info all. I will pick up my EGG tomorrow. Anxious to get started. At least I will be able to salvage my propane tank for my fridge at the cottage. The rest will go to the dump. Here's to no more flareups.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Rick2U,
    Here is to cooking like you never imagined. That is a promise! Also, there is something extremely appealing about firing up the egg on a bitter cold day, and cooking great food. [p]Glad to hear you will be making the purchase. Come on back with any questions you have. Quick answers await you.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Rick2U,[p] Hi there: I have not read of anyone having problems cooking
    in cold temps. We have Frozen Chosen in Alaska. If anyone
    should complain, he has the right. I hear he has to warm
    up his underwear on top of the egg before he puts them on.
    See just one more reason to buy an Egg.
    Where do you live?[p] Earl

• Dr. Chicken
    Earl,
    The Egg or the underwear??? :^)[p]Dr.C

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Rick2U,[p]I've done seared steaks and low and slow in zero degree weather and have no problems at all. I do take extra precautions not to heat it up too fast but not even sure that this is necessary. I tend to coddle the old boy at times, makes it feel loved since my wife makes me keep it outside all the time. I tried to take it to bed with me when I first got it but that didn't fly at all, got ash all over the wifes clean sheets.[p]Troy
  • Rick2U
    Nature Boy,
    I have just brought my EGG home and have assembled it. They gave me the wrong nest (too small) so I will have to wait until supper. I have some chicken legs to try out. Do I need a drip pan for them?

• RLA
    RLA Posts: 89
    Dr. Chicken,
    We had a severe winter out here in California too...we had a couple of nights when the thermometer fell all the way to 48 deg.!!!![p]Bob

• Dr. Chicken
    RLA,
    Yeah! I hear ya! I bet the ground was shaking too! When dat part of da world breaks off and floats off to sea, I'll be snug & secure on the new west coast! :^))))[p]Dr. Chicken

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    ice-egg.jpg
    <p />Rick2U,[p]Buy the Egg - Get a large if you can afford it. If your Egg lives outside like mine - I suggest a cover. As you can see, cold doesn't bother the Egg at all really. A direct down-pour will make starting it hard but once its going even that won't slow it down. It a great product and a great new hobby you'll have. [p]Oh, that's 2 racks-o-ribs at 250 deg (3hr direct)
    Tim

[ul][li]---Tim's Cookbook---[/ul]
  • Rick2U
    Dr. Chicken, All I can say is, We might have cold weather BUT we have NO earthquakes, tornadoes or hurricanes.

• Rick2U
    Earl, I live in Timmins ON, about 850 km or 500 miles north of Toronto.

• Rick2U
    sprinter, I never thought of that. I don't have a wife so taking it to bed should be no problem then? lol.

• Rick2U
    Tim M, Looks good. lol, and that is another thing that is rare here, freezing rain.

• Rick2U
    J Appledog, Well I have the whole summer to practice before the white stuff arrives. Should have everything down pat by then and have tasted a few posed recipies

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Rick2U,
    Nope. I often use a drip pan, and a second grate and cook indirect at 400, but cooking them direct will work well too. I do them at around 300-325 if directly over the coals. This will prevent burning before the inside gets cooked. [p]Flip every 20 minutes or so.[p]Congrats on the purchase.[p]Happy smokin'
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Earl
    00_00009_2.JPG
    <p />Rick2U,[p] I have moose & bear hunted just north of Kirkland Lake,
    Butler Lake to be exact. Took my big Egg this year so
    i could do up brisket for the gang. As Julie A mentioned
    i also us my mini Egg when I go ice fishing. Yes Char-Woody
    the ice is finally gone!! Where can you get the Egg up there?
    Best buy you'll make.

Earl

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Earl,
    I love that picture. You just need a Molson in the hand of that one guy and your could make a fortune with the ad.[p]See you soon!![p]Tim

• Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Earl,[p]You gotta describe exactly where that pic was taken Earl.....us southerners don't know where those lakes are.[p]And....that is one cool looking stand for the mini. Did you make it? Or does the BGE store sell it?[p]Fritz
  • Earl
    Fritz,[p] Hey There:

Sorry we will not get to see you & the family at the Eggfest. Your right, always Atlanta. The stand was purchased from the Egg store in Atlanta. I understand
    I may have bought of the last ones. Great for the height
    problem. Fritz, the picture was taken on Lake Simcoe,
    Ontario. Had a great time with my mini many times since.

Earl

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Earl,
    Great pic. You could put that in the shanty for heat also. Talk about fresh grilled fish. Please,when you have the time could you shoot a picture of or post the stand and tell how high it is. I probably could have one made if Atlanta is not selling them any more.

• Earl
    MAC,[p] After Waldorf MD, i will get you what you need & post it.
    My mini is still at my brothers, may have a hard time
    taking it back. You can also check with Mr Ed Fisher at
    Egg office in Atlanta. He may be able to help also.
    will get back to you after this weekend.[p] Earl