Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT Question - Meat or no meat ???

SlapShot
SlapShot Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know this will largely be subjective... but want to ask for opinions. We have some company coming over tomorrow and I plan to cook some ABTs for appetizers. Are they good enough with just the cream cheese or do they really need a meat filler? If filler is really the ticket, will anything work - salmon, ham, etc? or is chicken, pulled pork or shrimp the preference?[p]Also cooking a Sirloin Tip Roast - with garlic slivers inserted in the meat, a coating of Bavarian Beer Mustard (or Grey Poupon) and covered in bacon... yummmmm.[p]Thanks,
Walter

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    SlapShot,
    we always use meat in ours. Any kind of meat should work. If you don't happen to have some leftovers, you can use the little smokey sausage links. Or even some good ham cut into chunks.[p]~nikki

• nikkig,[p]I've got some EGG'd spiral sliced ham... won't get much in the way of chunks but I suppose a couple or 3 small pieces will suffice.[p]Thanks,
    Walter

• Memphis
    Memphis Posts: 144
    SlapShot, I used to make them with bbq but once I tried them with shrimp I never went back. I slice the top 1/4 - 1/3 off (leaving the stem on)clean them out, spread with cream cheese put one med to large shrimp and wrap with bacon. Only problem is they take awhile to make and are gone in only a few minutes - no matter how many I make.

• Memphis,[p]I've got some frozen baby shrimp in the freezer... think they'll work OK ?[p]Thanks,
    Walter

• Memphis
    SlapShot, I think so. I like using large srimp because they have more flavor. Sometimes the flavor in the baby shimp seems washed out. Mybe try stuffing with 2-3-4 of those. Or mix together a sort of shrimp salad (shrimp, creamcheese, and other flavorings)and spoon that into the pepper. Someone on here once said they use piminto cheese - so why not shrimp salad ?

• Memphis,
    some of the smaller shimp have the best flavor........
    sweeter. not over harvested.. JMHO

• Memphis,[p]I suppose I could sprinkle a little Creole seasoning on some of them... and either have some creole ABTs or mix some seasoned shrimp with non-seasoned ones in the same pepper. Looks like lots of experimenting tomorrow :)[p]Walter
  • Memphis
    b, Yes I agree - I guess i was assuming they were already cooked. Usually those are so oveer cooked - don't have much flavor.

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    SlapShot,
    I prefer them with meat and I've never had a complaint because of it. ;) I like to use a good fresh Italian sausage inside, then add Mozzarella over that, and then wrap with the bacon slice. Really tasty.
    There are lots of good ways to make these so try a few and pick some of your favs.
    HTH,
    Later,
    ChefRD

• SlapShot,
    I just use cream cheese.

• Zeke
    Zeke Posts: 90
    SlapShot, never had an ABT that I didn't like. Being a redneck from Fredneck, MD, I really likes 'em with pulled pork. Of course, pulled pork last around my house about as long as a dog with a t-bone. So I end up going over to Famous Daves and getting a pound or two of pulled pork to stuff my ABTs with.

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    ongrill.jpg
    <p />SlapShot,[p]When I first started making ABTs, all I put in them was cream cheese. I got the onion and chive flavor and it's great all alone.[p]But lately I've been stuffing my ABTs with chorizo on top of the cream cheese - now that's tasty! I smoke with hickory chunks (unsoaked) and always make sure I cook enough on the weekend so that I can take them for lunch all the next week.[p]Let me paraphrase another post...[p]"I never met an ABT I didn't like"[p]Chuck
  • SlapShot,[p]We like to add 1/2 goat cheese with the cream cheese. We'll also mix in garlic, chives, parsley. I've done them this way with and without pork, both ways are excellent.[p]Steve
  • I have tried every kind of cheese and many types of meat. My favorites are:[p]Cream Cheese
    Goat Cheese
    Shredded Parmesian
    Little Cajun Seasoning
    Chopped up shrimp or chicken. [p]At times I will not put the bacon around them and just top them with mozarella cheese for the non-red meat eaters.[p]So tasty.[p]Gojacketz