Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knife Sharpening in Atlanta

Luscombe
Luscombe Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a couple of MAC knives that my mom gave me. They are probably 35 years old or more and very dull.

Anyone know of a place in the Atlanta area where I can have them sharpened?

I know the edge angle will need to be shallow because this is a thin stiff blade.

I would prefer to have the work done locally if they are familiar with the Japanese knives. I am ok with mailing them out but would need to have a contact.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Gary

Comments

• We used to have this little Italian dude walking up and down the street pulling his knife sharpening cart and ringing a bell. Come to think of it, I haven't seen him in a while. He either got deported or moved to Los Vegas or something. If I see him, I'll send him your way.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Southeast(ern) Cutlery near Spagetti Junction, is awesome. They do a great job for a very reasonable price. Tell'em Bacchus sent-ya so maybe I will get a discount my next trip. ;)
    770-263-8886
  • He is not in Atlanta, but Dave is reportedly one of the best in the country for japanese knives.

http://www.japaneseknifesharpening.com/

I love Japanese knives! :woohoo:

IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1509.jpg
  • http://www.japaneseknifesharpening.com/index.html

imho this is the only place i would use..
    i have met dave a few times and he is the sharpening guru on the japanese knife forum and a very down to earth guy who knows his stuff.
    i was at a knife gathering this summer.... he sharpend a knife for someone and in the process of looking at the back corner of the blade near the handle touched my finger ever so lightly ..i tried to act nonchalant ... hard to do with blood dripping of your hand
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    What part of town are you in? I'd be happy to put an edge on them for you.
  • Thanks All for the help.

Rod, I'm in Cumming.

Gary
  • I realize I'm not on the same wagon as the other posts BUT....
    Invest in a good wet stone, a carbide (don't even really need the carbide, but they do work nicely) and a good steel. Expect to pay some big money for any or all mentioned, but you can do it yourself and be VERY satisfied!
    I can keep the knives here at Dad's in VERY nice shape with a stone and steel. And then, being paid in Whisky :whistle: , every year at "Deer Camp" I put the edge on everybody's knife (most often eight in camp) with the same stone and steel.
    BTW, my stone is a hand me down from my Grandparents that has most likely been in my family for 100 years...Or more!
    It may take some practice, but YOU can do it :) !
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    I recently taught myself (with the help of a few videos) how to properly use a whetstone and I'm overjoyed with the results! After years of messing with various gadgets I finally have a block of knives that are super-sharp! 8 - )
  • I agree with Rascal. If you want to learn, there are several good sharpening videos out there. You can start out with a couple of waterstones and achieve great results if you are willing to practice a little.

Email me if you are interested and I will send you some links that could be helpful.