Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Name that Hunk o\' Beef - Pics

Options
CaptainSpaulding
CaptainSpaulding Posts: 368
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Alright eggers, I'm trying to find out what this cut is and how to treat her right. It's just sized right to fit into a gallon-sized ziplock.

I was told that it came from the "Plate"

Flat view of meaty side:

1a0341ab.jpg

Edge view along Bone Length:

02991f89.jpg

End view of wide bone ends:

13c7869f.jpg

End view narrow bone ends:

16648085.jpg

Flat view Rib bone Side:

a86d2f89.jpg

Link to post, a call to arms for fishlessman and thirdeye:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=743496&catid=1

Original post, this morning:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=743292&catid=1#

It's a nice looking chunk of beef that a friend gave me and I'd like to do some justice to this gift. The lean, meaty slab atop the ribs feels very tender.

I'd really like to have a run at this thing like spare ribs, BBQ style, raised direct, low temperature with perhaps a foiled braise at the end if it still seems tough.

Joe

Comments

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :whistle: uncut short beef ribs???
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Brew...The only cuts I "know" that come from the Plate sub-primal are Hangars and Fajita (skirt). I have frequently seen lamb breast plate, and they look very similar! The lamb is best braised, like a short rib, and I would suggest the same with the cut you have shown. Sear, add veggies, add stock, and let it simmer a couple hours or so. Looks to be the perfect cut for a braise. Just my opinion.
  • CaptainSpaulding
    Options
    DOW,

After a bit more poking around on the web, I think that is a good possibility. Thanks for having a look and offering up your opinion.

Joe
  • CaptainSpaulding
    Options
    Hi Little Chef,

Thank you for checking in. As I said in my response, I'm beginning to think that these are actually short ribs.

I'm going to post a redux post, as time allows, this morning with a few more links and see what everyone thinks.

I may be screwing up, or too stubborn, but I really, really want to BBQ this piece instead of going with a straight braising method. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I made a stew a while back using Alton Brown's recipe and the form of short ribs that I usually see in the local market that are short cut, chunky little cubes. They were braised in foil, liquid poured off and refrigerated to facilitate removal of the fat from the hearty stock and pulled apart. A tablespoon or so of the fat was used to saute the vegetables and the meat was then added back into a cast iron dutch oven to stew for a bit. It turned out very well.

Joe