Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Purchase

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking about purchasing a Big Green Egg. My primary use would be BBQ, 2nd would be smoking. Based on this criteria would it be advisable to purchase?

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
  • Tennisbum
    Tennisbum Posts: 228
    Options
    Love my egg. Was a big Weber fan for years having a grill and a Smokey Mountain. The egg is much better in my opinion. However there is a learning curve with it. Tons of good information on this web site. For my 2Cents worth definitely get an egg. I have a medium
    and it is enough for the two of us
    gp
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Let me see...You are asking a bunch of Eggheads if the Egg is any good? :huh: Buddy, just go buy one OK. It can do it all. Nough said.
  • RiverFarm
    RiverFarm Posts: 216
    Options
    We just put ours together and haven't used it yet, but we were absolutely bowled away by how well all the parts were made and how easily it all went together. The directions were very clear and it's obviously a first-class piece of equipment. We couldn't believe how different it was from all the Chinese-made tools and other objects we've assembled in the past few years.

Naturally, though, posting here, everyone's going to tell you to get one, but truly they seem as though they can do almost anything you'd need except rock the baby for you.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    Find someone who has one and get a little taste of something coming off of i...it will knock your socks off! There is a reason so many are devoted eggheads and that is the quality of the food it can produce. Your cooking will reach an entirely different level from anything you have ever tasted. You will not be disappointed!
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    I bought mine about 1-1/2 months ago.
    I have a Treager pellet smoker,a Hasty Bake, and a Weber Gasser. I haven't used any of those others since I got my Lge BGE. The eggs put out great food. These Eggs are addicting!
    Warning: you maybe tempted to sell your kitchen oven and stove..Don't go that far!!
    The eggs are that good!
    Jon
  • If you are grilling steaks for example, at what temperature would you be cooking? How long does it take to get up to temperature? How much charcaol would you be using? Would I have to be going through bags and bags of charcoal?
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My BBQ, after 20 years of working on it, improved 100% within 3 months of getting the first Egg. Within the year, it was 250% better.

It is a fine piece of equipment, and will help you make great food of almost any kind. Mine have almost replaced my kitchen range, except for making soups.

There are lots of people who have used their Eggs to smoke cheese, make jerky, even smoke salt.

A big plus if you live in a colder climate is the ability to cook during blizzards. Nothing brightens up a snowed in day like pulling fresh hot pork from the Egg.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    650-700 degrees
    10 min
    Less than in a Weber
    No
  • belle's dad
    Options
    The Egg and only the Egg. I cook on the Egg probably three days a week and probably use less than 25 lbs of lump a month. I do a lot of steaks high temps and some low and slow cooks, still doesn't near the charcoal I used to use with a Weber and a Brinkman, plus, they rusted quickly in this salt air enviroment. The food is so much better. BUY AN EGG!!!! I have a large Egg.

Gordon
    Vero Beach, FL
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    look at the pics, read the posts...nuff said :)
  • Whipstock
    Whipstock Posts: 104
    Options
    Once you go Egg, you can never go back! I have had mine for three or four months and I cook on it at least five times a week, the options are limitless. When I first came to the fourm I'd sniker at the statements that old gassers and grills became storege units. Well, both my gas grill and my old Brinkman barrel are just that, storage units. Hope you buy your BGE soon and start enjoying, you have already found the best source of info, the Egghead fourm. Excellent folks, fun and informative.
    Good Luck! B)
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    I'm just into my 2nd bag and been eggin since August minimum twice a week. Just read this forum for a couple a weeks and your mind will be made up! :woohoo: