Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Salmon Yet

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy.
Last night I cooked the best salmon yet. Thanks Mary B., for the inspiration. I used mostly ingredients from her alder plank salmon recipe. Soy, olive oil (out of sesame oil, but I used 3 T roasted sesame seeds which were excellent), lemon Juice, 1 T dried dill weed (no fresh), and I added 2 T Honey, 1 T Oyster Sauce, 2T Rice Wine.[p]Marinated in fridge for 30 minutes, then 1 hour at room temp. Cooked 1 inch thick filet direct at 300-325 for 20 minutes a side. Nice golden brown caramel crust, moist and tender meat. Very tasty.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    When you say that you cooked the salmon fillet direct for 20 min per side, you mean without a drip pan or bricks under it, right? I can understand that the skin side would work out over the coals, but I'd be afraid that the flesh side would stick and be a mess to get off the grill. Please advise!
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Gretl,
    Never sticks. Just get the grill hot first. Stabilize at 325 before starting. At 325, as long as you don't keep opening the egg, the coals are the perfect temp to lighlty brown and sear the fish without any burning. Keep the lid closed to keep in the moisture, and open and flip at 20 minutes. You can always cook shorter on the second side after you asses doneness during the flip. Good stuff.[p]Plan on flipping only once (lightly).[p]The filet I used had the skin removed. Still no difficulties.
    Finished up with one big piece of filet, beautifully golden and full of aroma.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    That sounds SO good I feel like running home and trying it right now. Duty (work) calls, however, so it'll have to wait.
    Thanks for the explanation. [p]BTW, I forgot to mention on my Brainstorm post that I did buy a Weber grill and placed it above the BGE grill over the firebricks, just as you suggested. It worked great. The only drip pan I could fabricate that would accommodate the amount of chicken pieces (maximum capacity) was a pizza pan covered with foil. It worked just fine, and BARELY fit.