Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

use of lighter fluid

Options
jackflash
jackflash Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know this is a basic question, but I need to know if use of charcoal lighter fluid damages the Big Green Egg in any way? I'd appreciate a legitimate and knowledgable response. thank you! jackflash:(

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    It is not a good idea as the ceramics will absorb the odors of the fluid. Plenty of other options.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Lighter fluid with it's Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC's) will absorbe into the ceramic components of the egg leaving an undesireable taste and smell to foods cooked on it. Will it actually damage the Egg, I doubt it, but it will have an adverse effect on flavor and have to be burnt off to remove it's effects of flavor degradation. Many other ways to start the Egg my friend. No reason to use Lighter fluid.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    giveupon.jpg

Seriously, even when not cooking in a ceramic cooker.... loose the lighter fluid.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    It is VERBOTEN!!!! Seriously though, it will soak into the ceramics and stink up your egg. There are many other methods, electric starter, Mapp torch, oil and napkin, starter cubes (which in my opinion stinks up the egg also, but many seem to use it with no problem) charcoal chimney, etc.
    You said "I'd appreciate a legitimate and knowledgable response." I see this is your first post, so I will assume you are new to this forum. There is not nearly the amount of jerkwads on this forum as there are on other forums you have been on. :laugh: :laugh:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,922
    Options
    same goes for using enhanced easy light/firestarter charcoal briquettes brands too - it's best to avoid them too!
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    I have no idea if it will damage the BGE but I just have never liked the left over taste of charcoal lighter fluid, even years before I bought an EGG I had quit using the lighter fluid. Lots of better methods to light a grill, smoker, BGE, or any other cooker than with the lighter fluid. Mike
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    I agree with all above, but would add that if you use 91+ percent alcohol like lighter fluid it works great with no aftertaste. A tablespoon or so in three spots lights the egg quick and clean.

Welcome to the forum. B)

Doug
  • PlanoPokes79
    Options
    oil and napkin....could someone explain this method? I agree on the cubes
  • dpbarrett
    Options
    Five sheets of newspaper (probably fewer, but we have plenty and we have an XL so 5 is my standard) with wide open vents bottom and top turns your whole egg into a charcoal chimney. 15 minutes to 500 degrees using Cowboy lump.

And I also agree with others who say fluid is NEVER a good idea.
  • dpbarrett
    Options
    Five sheets of newspaper (probably fewer, but we have plenty and we have an XL so 5 is my standard) with wide open vents bottom and top turns your whole egg into a charcoal chimney. 15 minutes to 500 degrees using Cowboy lump.

And I also agree with others who say fluid is NEVER a good idea.
  • jackflash
    Options
    Good answers to my question. Thank to you individually and as a group. Good job!

jackflash
  • jackflash
    Options
    Intersting reply on 91% alcohol. Thx!
    jackflash
  • jackflash
    Options
    Helpful answer. Thx,l
    jackflash
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    Drizzle a little cooking oil on a napkin or paper towel and it works like a starter cube. The key is the right amount of oil. Don't soak it in oil.