Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

GFI and freezers

Options
Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in Off Topic
I have learned this the "hard way" in the past ! :angry:

When we purchased a freezer for the garage, I had an electrician friend wire me an outlet that bypasses the garage GFI circuits.

My problem in the past has not been the compressor tripping the GFI plug, but since the GFI's in most garages are all connected to the ones around the outside of the house, when an outlet gets tripped somewhere else, the ones in the garage go out. It might be days before it is noticed. I knew the garage outlets had been tripped several times, so before I bought this freezer, I called the electrician friend.

Since a non-GFI outlet is against code, we will have to cover the outlet if we ever decide to sell the house. :ohmy:

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey Clark,a non-GFCI'ed outlet in the garage,or basement is legal if it is a dedicated circuit for a fridge.The outlet needs to be a single recp,not a duplex.I know that national codes are interpreted differenlty wherever you go,but you should be able to add a circuit for the fridge.The fridge in your kitchen isn't GFCI'ed,but all the other outlets(in the kitchen)are ;) Just sayin :)
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks, Sparky. I really could give a sh** about codes for now, BUT if I were ever to sell this house I would have to cover several plugs. For example my electrician also put outlets for me in mine and Jana's closets, which apparently violates the city (not county) codes. Will plate those over also, if we even try to sell, which is not in our future any time soon.

I hate missing Eggfest, but I hope you guys have a blast and I look forward to the banter and pics !