Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for a killer Potato Salad Recipe

Options
Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So what's your favorite? I'm looking for a recipe for the white variety (as in no, or little, mustard). I'm sure it's a simple recipe, but I haven't found "the" one yet. Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks, y'all.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    My wife does one with bacon and ranch dressing that is awesome! :)
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    ANYTHING with bacon is awesome! Though I have to say, I've never had potato salad with bacon. So what else is in it? And how much? I don't fly by the seat of my pants so well. :blush:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Check out my second post.It has the link.The reviews suggest using 1 cup sour cream and 1 cup mayo instead of 2 cups mayo.adding some grated cheese and hard boiled eggs!Now THAT has to be awesome!!! :woohoo: :whistle:B) HTH!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    You're a good man, Hoss! That looks exactly like what I'm lookin' for!

But just in case... more recipes are welcome. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• civil eggineer
    Options
    Potato salad without mustard isn't potato salad it's creamy potato's. :sick:
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC05527JPGx2.jpg

I can put you on to an Austrian potato salad. The sauce is an oil and vinegar base with 1t of Dijon mustard. For some extra color, I used fingerling potatoes in the photo.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    It's only creamy if ya mash 'em. :) My mom uses mustard, my ex uses mustard... I need a change! :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I love potato salad!

Hey hoss if you want to put something on at the eggfeast come see me.
    TIm
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    My family loves my potato salad, but it is not conventional. Mine starts off basic with the russet potatoes and mayo but then I add boiled eggs, green onions, garlic salt, celery, pepper, dill pickle relish, and throw in some chopped spanish olives. Now you've made me want to go make some - you badddd.....
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    Potato salad is subjective!

Some like it hot, some like it cold. Some like mustard, some like vinegar, some like veggies, some hate celery, some require eggs, some detest eggs, and so on. Potatoes white, yellow, red, purple, blue, big, small, sliced, diced, or mashed? Include protein? Fish? Bacon? I don't think there will ever be K.C.P.S.S. (Kansas City Potato Salad Society, of course) judging standards.

There was a new cookbook published this year called Potato Salad: 65 Recipes from Classic to Cool.

If you cook a new one from the book every week you could let us know in about 15 months which was your favorite. :silly:

Evidently the "old" 2002 Potato Salad: 50 Great Recipes was outdated. Perhaps potatoes evolved a lot in seven years. :P

Since you say you're tired of mustard, I'd try one with ranch dressing, or perhaps a hot (German) version with vinegar and bacon. One technique suggestion-dress the potatoes while still warm, the dressing will penetrate better.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with a craving for potato salad, Judy. Why do you think I started this thread?! :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    That looks a lot like the aspargus and potato salad from Dinosaur BBQ:

DSC01116.jpg

It's got Zatarain's Creole Mustard, but it's not "mustardy."
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Love your thoughts and ideas! I agree!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    Options
    The best I've ever had is found in the Silver Palate Cookbook. It's not quick to make, as you drizzle the cooked potatoes with vinegar while still hot and allow to cool overnight. The darn recipe has something like 20 eggs in it, so it's borderline potato/egg salad. Mix in some red onion, and it's a huge hit with the crowd whenever I've made it. I could post the recipe if you're interested.
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Post please. Thanks, Tom
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I do this recipe a lot and get lots of comments. You can leave out the mustard and use a couple of eggs!!

Creamy Dijon-Dill Potato Salad
    Recipe courtesy Dave Lieberman

I guess I'm sticking to the classic salads for my BBQ, and there's nothing more classic BBQ than a good home-style potato salad. Mine is rich in flavor, but still light and fresh, thanks in large part to the dill and lemon juice. The vibrant green dill also does wonders for the look of the salad. There's nothing worse than mushy, mealy potatoes, so make sure to start your spuds off in cold water and to cook them whole.

Prep Time: 15 min Inactive Prep Time: hr min Cook Time: 25 min Level:
    Easy Serves:
    12 servings Ingredients
    3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 stalks celery
    1 cup mayonnaise
    1 small red onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
    1/4 cup tightly packed chopped fresh dill
    1 to 2 tablespoons vinegar
    1/2 lemon, juiced
    1 tablespoon grainy or regular Dijon mustard
    Directions
    Put the potatoes in a big pot with enough water to cover by 1-inch. Season with salt and bring the water to a boil. Cook just until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, about 25 minutes.

Drain the potatoes and return them to the uncovered pot off the heat. Let them sit until almost room temperature. (Cooling them in the warm pot will get rid of any excess water in the potatoes, and that's good.)

Meanwhile, cut the white parts off the ends of the celery stalks. Cut the stalks in half lengthwise, then across into 1/4-inch slices. Stir the celery, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and the remaining ingredients together in a serving bowl large enough to hold all the potatoes.

When they're cool, cut the potatoes into 1-inch pieces, add them to the bowl as you go. Stir gently until all the potatoes are coated with dressing. You can make the salad up to a couple of hours in advance. Keep covered at room temperature. Don't refrigerate or the potatoes will lose their rich, smooth texture.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks to everyone! From the looks of it, the recipes from Hoss and Iceman are closest to what I was looking for. Not to say the others won't be terrific though! I will have to experiment - which is half the fun of course.

In the mean time, you guys might as well load this thread up with MORE RECIPES!

Thanks!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut