Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steaks & Rubs

Options
hizzoner
hizzoner Posts: 182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I read somehwere on here not to put your rub on the meat prior to the sear. I did it like this over the weekend, but it seems to me that when you apply the rub at the time of the roast, the rub doesn't soak into the meat, but rather sit on top.

Thoughts?

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Here's my thought,and I'm not tryin to be a smarta$$ :whistle: There are no rules,just cook them however you like them :) Personally,I add the rub before the sear,but that's just me ;)
  • Rib Fan
    Rib Fan Posts: 305
    Options
    For steak...my advise is to buy the best quality that is reasonable for your budget and add cracked pepper and sea salt....and just a hint of oil before going on the Egg. I honestly dont think it matters how long you apply it before the cook. But salt will draw moisture out of the steak if given a long enough period of time. The result of this might also be marginal at best.

Wayne
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    I have always put the rub on first right out of the fridge and let it come to room temp before putting it to the fire, never have had a complaint yet, and I am my own worst critic. :cheer:
  • Pepper Monkey BBQ
    Options
    We usually do steaks that are between one and two inches thick. I rub them then set them to rest on the counter while I set up the egg. 1/2 hr later they steaks are on and I don't season them any more after that. I don't have any sugar in my rub ... salt, pepper, coffee and some other seasoning .... works great!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Depends how hot you sear, how close to the lump/flames the meat is, and what is in the rub. Some spices can burn. So can oil. This can lead to an off taste.

Either applying it before or after the sear, the rub isn't going to soak into the meat. If you want the ingredients in the rub to dissolve a little, add a touch of olive oil before the roast, add the rub, and lightly rub it in a little.

That being said, do whatever works for you. If you are getting good results with the way you are cooking them, then why change it up?
  • Clam
    Clam Posts: 117
    Options
    I am back to just salt and pepper. T-rex method.

I'm gonna try hot tubbing next time.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Like Fidel, I think it depends on how you sear.

Before I got a spider and started searing in the "lava" lump, I seared at the firering level. Rubs didn't burn that far from the lump, no matter how high the dome temp. But, when you sear in the flames at the lower spider level, you are close to the >1000* lump and there is a good chance a rub will burn.

Since I now use the TRex method, it calls for a 20 minute rest between the sear and the roast. THis is plenty of time for a rub to melt into the meat, especially if you actually "rub it", which seems to bring out some juices to dissolve the rub.

Bottom line: Experiment and find what works best for you.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    I like Dizzy Pig Raisin the Steaks best. The wife prefers John Henry's Lemon Pepper. We put the rubs on the meat while it's cold and let it rest 'til the fire's hot enough to sear. I never really thought about where the rub taste comes from, but every bite includes an outside (rubbed) surface, so I'm not sure it matters. But I must say that I'll never cook another one without a rub. Such a major improvement in taste on ribeyes AND filets.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Sorry Misippi Egger. I didn't mean for the above to appear as an answer to your post. Shoulda put it in the Index.

regards