Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jalapeno "Coring Tool"

Options
iabbqguy
iabbqguy Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I saw this thing on the Bass Pro site and wondered if anyone had used this thing before and how it worked. Normally I cut the peppers in half when making ABTs but new toys are always fun...

Bass Pro Jalapeno Rack

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Options
    I recently bought a 12-hole one "Chili Grill" brand rack. I really works great !
    I use a melon ball tool to core with.
    DSC_0445.jpg
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    That looks like a good Price

Ross
  • highpress
    highpress Posts: 694
    Options
    I bought a jalepeno coring tool and a jalepeno rack similar to Misippi Egger's. I had a few people tell me how great this corer was but to be honest, i liked using my 99c vegtable peeler for cleaning out the insides. The corer would sometimes rip the peppers open and not get all the insides out. I still have the rack and corer, but for me i think it's easier just to do them "canoe" style. Cut in half, scoop out the insides with a spoon and be done with it. I haven't used my corer or jalepeno stand since i started doing them canoe style. Plus it's easier to get the cream cheese filling in there. just my .02
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    I agree with high press. The rack looks great, but it was definitely harder to stuff than 'canoe style'. It does allow for a "fancy" presentation, so I will likely use it occasionally when I want to impress. :woohoo:

DSC_0448.jpg

Also, you really need to stick a toothpick through the lower part of the peppers to keep them from slipping though the holes since they shrink a little as they cook.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I have been using a coring tool from Chile grill that was $9.oo. I also use a cookie press for adding cream cheese and they work great together. :)
    http://www.irondesert.com/Chile-Grills-orderby0-p-1-c-1.html
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    These guys were at the Oklahoma State Fair last month. All the stainless goods are heavy duty and well finished. They had never heard of BGE but could rattle off every maker of horizontal off-set smokers within a six state radius. They said they would consider producing a round version of the pepper holders suited to the exact diameters of the various Eggs. They seemed a bit enthused.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Clark:

I've seen how BIG the holes in those pepper holders are, from the ones sold at Williams-Sonoma to the ones in any grill equipment department. The grocery stores here don't sell humungous jalapeno peppers, and even before cooking they'd slide right out of the holes.

Judy
    San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    You're right, Judy. I think I read about using toothpicks in something put out by the company that makes the racks.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    We are on the other end of the spectrum here with huge peppers. I may have to get the magnum Chile Grill which has bigger holes. I have had to use the tooth picks for some of the skinny ones which worked fine.