Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooking with hammered aluminum ?

Options
Meat
Meat Posts: 233
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone cook with hammered aluminum. I was given a large pot with a glass lid so it might not qualify as a dutch oven but should work for pot roast and chili. My question/concern is that I heard cooking with aluminum was a no-no. Anybody have any input? I have been looking at DO's but the ones I want are pricey. Thanks.

Comments

• DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    My personal preference is to stay away from aluminum cookware unless it is coated with another metal. Most restaurant kitchens use a lot of aluminum cookware. So i am not sure why other than it is cheap. Aluminum is bad :sick: .
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    Check T J Maxx. Get the enamel cast iron. A knock off of the Frinchie costly one. I don't use alum. any more. Smiles to you.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Aluminum cookware is fine. I have several Magnalite roasting pans, they have excellent conductivity, but they say safe to only 350° (aluminum has a melting point of 1200°, where cast iron is closer to 2000°). A couple of companies make cast aluminum Dutch ovens. Aluminum heats up and cools down faster, cast iron has better heat retention. Aluminum is lighter.

I personally like cast iron cookware over aluminum.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I do not have any aluminum cookware, but I do use disposable pans on the egg.

I think that you want to stay away from acid foods like tomatoes, but I would use it for something like a pot roast.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    costco now has knock off of frenchie ,, saw it in this weeks flyer $89
    e-bay the frenchie stuff lots available and at the right price,
    there are lodge outlet stores and amazon has a nice selection,,
    i have some old aluminum but the coating wore off i do not use it much..
    if you allow aluminum to oxidize it is safer and much less reactive [imho] they ship hydrofluoric acid in it... scrubbing alumin till it is shines is a bad move [imho]