Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs in rack or on the grill

Options
GaryBushey
GaryBushey Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen people doing it both ways. Any reason for one over the other or is it just a matter of preference?

Comments

• ILL--EGGER
    Options
    My preferance is to go flat only because I like to finish them flat with sauce. I used a rib rack for along time until I got set-up to go flat. Either works fine but if you like to sauce it's easier flat.
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    For me, it's a matter of scale. With only one grid, you can only fit two racks of ribs flat in the Egg. With a rack, you can fit 6 or more. So if I'm cooking a lot, I use my rack. If I'm cooking one or two, I cook them flat.

-John
  • Jazzman
    Options
    I do a bit of both. I start my ribs in a rack - I just like the way they cook better. When I set up two grates with my adjustable rig, it can be harder to get them to cook evenly. So I use the rack to cook them the first 3 hours, then I foil them not in the rack, and when I take them out to sauce them, I lay them flat for that, and if I;m cooking a bunch, I will use the A.R. and 2 grates. I just use the rack for the first 3 hours, and it works great every time!