Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Dutch Oven

Options
Bulldog Mom
Bulldog Mom Posts: 242
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all -

Am looking to expand my cooking eggsperience and recently bought a Dutch Oven.

Anybody got suggestions on good meals to cook in the DO. Have searched recipes and posts, but to no avail.

Not necessarily looking for eggxact recipes (unless, the recipe is "homegrown"), but suggestions on what will cook well in the DO.

THANKS!

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC08938a.jpg

Check out Byron's site. Here is the link Dutch Oven Recipes He's a great DO source.

He mentions that 350° is the universal oven temp for most of his recipes, I have adjusted that a little by sight (usually lower) when cooking in the Egg.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    A Dutch Oven is a very nice addition to the arsenal.
    I’ve done soups, stews, beans, gumbo, boiled dinner and chili….All pretty normal stuff.
    For the last throwdown, however, I braised a stuffed pork loin. Granted it was in my CI roaster (because of the size)…But that is still sort of a DO.
    If you would like some specific recipes, drop me an email.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Three of my favorites that are right here on this site in the cookbook are:

No Knead Bread
    Clay's Pulled Beef BBQ
    Dutch oven Pot Roast
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Here are three recipes I found at various sites (sorry no author noted on these). I've made the Jambalaya and Ribs, liked both. When it gets a bit cooler I plan to make Cioppino one of my favorite dishes (I hope I like cookng it).

There are plenty of recipes on the internet, even the BSA has recipes.

Good luck!

BGE-Dutch Oven Jambalaya

1 lb hot link sausage or kelbasa sausage
    2 chopped onions
    1 cup chopped parsley
    4 cloves chopped garlic
    1 15oz can tomatoes
    1 tsp thyme
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 cups rice
    2 cups water
    1 lb frozen peeled shrimp

Heat dutch oven.
    Cut sausage into 1/2 inch pieces.
    Fry sausage and onions in dutch oven until onions are clear.
    Add garlic and parsley. Cook until parsley is soft.
    Add tomatoes, thyme, salt, water, and rice.
    Bring to a boil and stir in shrimp.
    Cover and cook on low heat.
    Simmer until rice is tender and shrimp are pink - about 15 minutes.

Serves 4.

BGE-Dutch Oven Genuine Cioppino

This cioppino recipe, (Italian fish soup/stew) comes with an interesting twist. Maybe you've had Italian fish stew (cioppino) in your favorite Italian restaurant, maybe on vacation somewhere on a pier overlooking the sea. DOD's first really "killer" cioppino was ravished in a bistro on the Monterrey, California Fisherman's Wharf. Tried it again years later in the same restaurant, but it just wasn't the same.

Alas, pleasant dining experiences are to be relished, each for their own particular individuality. But experiences of this magnitude are extremely difficult, if not impossible, to recreate. And, in between these two distinctive visits, Dave probably sampled a hundred or so other versions of cioppino, some really good, a select few excellent, and many that were just as well forgotten.

Did I mention that DOD is particularly fond of cioppino, whether it's called by its Italian name or just fisherman's stew?

Well, needless to say, Dave is an aficionado of cioppino, and he has come up with one here that tickles his fancy about as good as any. It's certainly not the same at home in the Rockies as it would be on a California wharf--or even better, in a Mediterranean seaside cafe. But nevertheless, this well-researched recipe just might conjure up some really nice imaginings along those lines for you if you try it. So, go for it, eh? Oops, we’re not Canadians, what am I thinking?

New Italian Recipes Presents:
    Cioppino (with homemade tomato sauce and fresh Italian seafood)

Cioppino can be made with the shell fish served in the shell, or with the shells removed. Though some diners prefer not to have to muss their hands in eating soup, the shells do add to the overall flavor of any fish soup recipe and allow for a more appealing and realistic Cioppino presentation.

Cioppino Ingredients:
    1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    8-10 canned or bottled oil cured anchovies, diced
    4-6 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
    2 bay leafs
    1/2 cup diced celery
    1 medium to large onion, diced
    1 roasted red bell pepper, diced
    1 cup good rose or red wine
    3 T red wine vinegar
    1 quart homemade fish or shrimp soup stock Shrimp Stock (chicken stock and/or clam or Clamato juice can be substituted)
    2 cups or more, (depending on how thick and how tomatoy you like it) homemade tomato sauce or a 28 oz can diced tomatoes
    1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped or 2-3 T dried (add to seasoning mix if dried)
    Dash or two of Tabasco Sauce
    2 T Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 cup fresh Italian Parsley
    2-3 T fresh lemon juice

Seasoning Mix: (use your herb-designated coffee grinder)
    1 T salt
    1 T black or mixed whole pepper
    2 T dried oregano
    1 T fennel seeds
    1 T fresh or dried rosemary leave

Seafood:
    Just about everything works in Cioppino and Italian fish Stew or Soup recipes, but here are our recommendations:
    1/2 lb. medium shrimp (save shells for making seafood stock)
    1/2 lb. scallops
    24 fresh mussels
    1 lb. firm white fish, chopped in 1 inch pieces (cod, catfish, halibut, orange roughy, etc.)
    16 fresh clams (optional)
    (Fresh or canned oysters can be added if you like them)

Fresh bread of your choice, garlic baked if desired, and lots of it. (The juice is incredible)

Prepare the Cioppino:
    Heat olive oil to medium and add anchovies. Add garlic after about 3 minutes (this mixture should smell fabulous by now, might even bring a whole slew of hungry family members a-runnin’).

Add bay leafs, onions, celery and bell pepper plus 1/2 of the seasoning mix. Sauté for 6-8 minutes.

Add wine, vinegar, Tabasco and Worcestershire and reduce by 1/2, then add tomato sauce, basil and the rest of the seasoning mix. Simmer about 5 minutes then add the lemon juice.

Add the fish and shellfish, cover and cook about 7 more minutes. Remove any of the mussels and clams that don't open.

Sprinkle the completed Italian fish stew with parsley. Serve with fresh, Italian bread. (Butter it up and garlic it if you really want a taste treat!)

This recipe serves four easily (unless one of them is DOD).

BGE-Dutch Oven Barbecue Ribs
    | 3¼ hours | 15 min prep |

Cook these in a dutch oven (cast iron with lid). You can also use any heavy covered pan. Or cook them at your campsite with 10 charcoals on the bottom and 14 on top of your dutch oven maintaining 160 degrees. Be sure to have rolls or corn bread on hand.

Ingredients
    5 lbs baby back ribs or boneless ribs
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 (24 ounce) bottle ketchup
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
    1 teaspoon liquid smoke
    Directions
    1In a 12 inch dutch oven cook onions until they are clear.
    2Add remaining ingredients, except ribs.
    3Cook for 15 minutes, just simmering, stir often.
    4Add ribs and cover with lid.
    5Cook in a slow oven, 250 degrees, for 2-3 hours or until tender.