Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stone under Egg on Table?

Kat
Kat Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Excitement! We traveled hours to pick up our Large Green Egg on Monday and today begin to assemble, one question. Do you or do you not set your egg on a stone paver on the wooden table? Or do you just set it on the ceramic feet?

Thanks for your help, can't wait to be uploading photos of great things cooked on it :)

Kathy

Comments

• tread
    tread Posts: 22
    On the DVD that's provided both options are available to you. It all depends on what type of Table you have and how comfortable you feel with just using the ceramic feet and how hot are you planning on getting it down the road...you may want to consider both if you have the space for it.

I'm just a new egger myself but that was my understanding of the DVD.

Happy Cooking :)
  • I think you will find most reccomend both. If you set it on the stone just slightly forward, then you can slide something (I use a cookie sheet) under the front edge to catch ash when you scrape them out. That way they do not get all over your table.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    you can see where the three feet were, get the paver

2005_0104Image0008.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tread
    WOW...what damage! And thats why I wear gloves while lighting :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    that table was 2 inches thick and it happened during an overnight cook while i slept. could have been much worse, i was lucky. get the paver and it doesnt hurt to use the paver and the three feet ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Use both the paver and the feet. Just to be safe. (I did). My Egg came all set up and ready to go. Except, the Dealer did not use a paver. I had to add that my self. It sure would be nice if the Dealers would follow the recommendations before they put the Egg in place. What does a paver cost? 5 bucks?
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Use the paver and the feet.
    This was paver only

101_2117.jpg

101_2118.jpg
  • I have used both a paver and bricks on custom tables. The paver kind of broke up after a couple of years. When I rebuilt my table I used fire bricks, with a frame around them to prevent shifting. Definitely use the three feets.
    You should also check out the table forum and Naked Whiz' table gallery.
  • When I first got my large about 7 months ago I did use brick and had three brick under the egg in the shape of a u. When I took a trip with the egg and table I found the table was burned so I got some fire brick and stacked two solid layers under the egg. For me I payed to much for everything including my house. So, for me I will do my best as I know how and be prepared to do better when I learn differnt.

000_0830.jpg
  • check out this post on the nakedwhiz.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/eggbase/eggbase.htm
    Pictures say a thousand words.
    Have fun with your table
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    I have a granite slab from a local countertop shop under mine and then I have it sitting on 3 terra cotta plant pot feet I got at the Home Depot for about $1 each. It raisies the egg higher than the BGE feet and I can use those for cooks.
  • Kat
    Thank you all for your great advice! We put two concrete pavers and the ceramic feet under the egg and also put some porcelain tile around the perimeter of the pavers in case any ash lands in the area.

Well it was a great debut cook for our EGG, we made burgers, corn and roasted potatoes that were perfection! Then while we cleaned up after dinner we put the plate setter and baking stone on and popped a pear & apple gallette on and we've never had anything bake a crust so beautifully and the fruit filling was a bubbling beauty too.

Now I'm going to have to continue reading many of the recipes and tips you all have so generously posted.

Happy to be in the land of EGG with you! :)

Kathy & Terry
    bgedebut922003.jpg

bgedebut922002.jpg
  • tread
    Great cook! and happy Eggin
  • I use both. A stone paver with the legs on the paver.
    Using just a paver the table will get to hot.
    E
  • Kat
    We found we had a box of fire bricks on hand so we replaced the cement paver with the fire bricks and with the ceramic feet between them and the egg we feel a lot more confident about it on the wood table.