Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cyberq II and Smoke Question

Options
Deadskins
Deadskins Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing my first baked beans since I got Cyberq II and am raising the temp from 200 to 300 degrees. I noticed the remaining wood smoking as it was burned off, which is good. But, I also noticed that a little smoke exiting around the fan each time it came on. I took pictures, but, they don't show the fan smoke too well. Kind of like we just announced a new Pope.
I think I also need a new seal as smoke is coming from the top to base area.

Thanks to Walrus for his recipe.

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Options
    That happens on my cyber-q as well. The seal on the bottom is not perfectly tight. It does leak a little. If it is excessive, you could add some kind of tape to seal.
  • Rib Fan
    Rib Fan Posts: 305
    Options
    Deadskins....don't worry about leakage from around the gasket area...unless you are not able to maintain low and slow temps (temperature creep from excess air flow) or it just bothers you. My large egg with the cyber Q leaks smoke like a sieve around the gasket area (I say "area" because there is no gasket left) when the fan kicks on....but does not affect the cook or flavour of the cook what so ever.

Wayne
  • Big George's BBQ
    Options
    If you put tape around it won't the heat from the Egg make the tape adhere to the Ceramics of the Egg. Probably better to deal with that little bit of smoke or call Guru
  • Deadskins
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I will just leave it as is.
    I just spent a few minutes stirring and the Cyberq sent out an alarm about low pit1 temp. That was cool. I hit a key and it is now bringing the temp back up slowly. Five minutes later and it is now sitting at exactly 300. Amazing!
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    There is a high temp grey tape that I have seen used with guru's. You can also manipulate foil nd make a tighter seal around the draft door.