Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WOOOSH

Options
Eggs-oteric
Eggs-oteric Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Was just outside getting egg ready for some pizza cookin.

Had just lit the egg 10 or so minutes before, it was sitting at just under 300 and I was getting ready to adjust top/bottom to hold around there as I still need to do a few more things before I kick it up higher for pizzas----when I heard a WOOOSH and the temp gauge went from 300 to just under 500 in about 1 second.

Kinda weird--little worrysome at time.

Adjusted top/bottom to pull back to 300.

Others have this happen?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    yes - I call it the after burner effect like with a jet engine. It is also the reason you should never ever put your face directly over the dome hole - guess who did that once? lucky for me my plate setter was in place and I had eyeglasses on so I didn't get the full blue flame treatment.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    HaHaHa just last night. It probably happens more but I just don't notice it that often. I think after the initial lighting when the vents are all wide open and the top is off things start to heat up to a point to where the lump reaches it's flash point and then the lump flashes over and really gets going. It happens around 300 degrees and gets to 600 within seconds. I may be wrong but don't think so.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    As always, beware of potential flashbacks when opening the egg!!! They seem more common when the Egg has done something strange....
    So, back off when opening.... :whistle: Don't need more hair loss (or worse) posts. ;)