Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mass meat

Options
Fire Walker
Fire Walker Posts: 241
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know that in pork butt and pulled beef the rough cook time is calculated with the largest piece as long as they don't touch. Question I have a 15lb Chuck roast and a 10lb. Top round roast I need them to be done at the same time, my idea is to put them together and cook them as one 25lb. piece of meat does this sound logical and practical?
FireWalker

Comments

• jagweed
    jagweed Posts: 188
    Options
    they will separate quickly just from shrinking.
    and even closely put together it wouldn't effectively "add" them into one mass.

put the smaller one on a little later, and if/when it is done sooner, keep it in a cooler til the pother catches up
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    no idea on the times, but i would make pulled beef out of the chuck and cook the top round med/rare while the chuck rests in the cooler. someone here cooks those big chuck roasts for slicing, i think its unconundrum but not sure
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    my thinking of using the cooler and rest time is because i think you want to cook the chuck at a lower temp like 250 and the top round at 350/375. top round would be done at 120/130 internal in a couple hours and for slicable chuck your looking at a higher temp like maybe 165 internal and maybe taking 15 or so hours but thats where you need unconundrums help or maybe natureboys
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Sorry, but...I’m thinking that NO MATTER, you still have two pieces of meat here, not to mention two different cuts.
    Either will pull and either will slice.
    The problem, as Fishlessman already stated, is that you are looking at two different methods for two pretty different cuts.
    I do like his cooler idea here, because…
    Maybe you could do one for slicing and the other for pulling. Then it’s mostly a matter of temp and timing with one cooking longer than the other. If you can wrap you head around that :ermm: .