Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smelly filet?

Options
c tredwell
c tredwell Posts: 575
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, I bought a piece of buckhead beef filet mignon the other day. It was vacuumed sealed and the freeze before date was today. I opened it tonite, and it had a strange twangy smell. Rinsed it off, mostly gone, but still evident. The vacuum was bloated a bit, and I'm alittle nervous. Suggestions?

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    a little scary.

Hey have you spoken with Lynn today, she was trying to reach you about Sat chairty cook.
    ?
  • jagweed
    jagweed Posts: 188
    Options
    smell of success my friend. your first wet-aged steak. hahaha

sweet and tangy, faintly metallic smell. my brother calls it "gamey', but he dunno what the heck he's talkin about

was it a white plastic tray with a layer of plastic sealing the top? those are supposed to be 'bloated', because they are filled with CO.
  • c tredwell
    Options
    Hey Ron,
    Haven't spoken to her, but I'm 90% sure I can make it. I think my phone number is wrong in our N.Ga egger profile.
    Jag-
    It was Cryovaced(vacuumed sealed in one piece of plastic) and tight when I bought it, tonite, it was a little bloated. It's resting in EVOO and cowlick right now....
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Cook it Chris,I bet that'll make it smell better :) If you don't wanna cook it,I'll come get man :woohoo: :laugh:
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Chris....I know I'll be challenged by a few, but I look at it this way....toss $10 of fermented beef, or risk a night in the bathroom...... Kryovac should not be 'bloated'....that is fermentation taking place. Somewhere along the line, this piece of beef was improperly handled, and bacteria are taking over.
    When in Doubt.....Throw It Out. ;)
    Just my two cents! :whistle:
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Yep...Give it the heat! :woohoo:

Stike could splain why it smells, but he ain't round so much. :ermm:
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Wonder if Stikes lurking :S
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    look over your shoulder - who do you think jagweed is!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Dude, Go get another filet. It is not worth your health.
    I don't care what Stike says... :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I thought that was pretty obvious too. -RP
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Zactly!!!! :woohoo: :evil: :whistle:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    There is a distinct difference between bad meat and the cryovac odor.

If it smells "bad" as in rotten as in putrefied, even in the slightest, then chuck it and call Buckhead Beef. They'll make it right.

If it more of a sulfur smell that goes away after a few minutes, then you're fine. If you are in the least bit concerned, then get your money back and pass on the meal -- I know Buckhead Beef set you back a bit, so I wouldn't just toss it and call it a loss.
  • jagweed
    Options
    i don't understand how you can't understand what aging is.

admittedly, neither of us have smelled it, so in reality it is up to him. but it is sad that you can't explain why a steak that's a week past its date is unsafe other than to say someone told you it was. or conversely, why it wouldn't be.

hahahaha

i always notice the folks who stay away from the tough questions.... not saying you do. but there are a lot of folks here who could, but never weigh in.

and too many times there are answers given, but given without reasons and an explanation. that makes them a "vote", not an "answer"
  • c tredwell
    Options
    Cooked it to med rare.. smelled good, tasted a bit like blue cheese. I ate about half of it and got nervous. If I liked blue cheese, i'da finished it, but we will see in about 4 hours!
    Wish me luck :unsure:
  • jagweed
    Options
    i wouldn't eat bloated cryovac, but he didn't let that on 'til after. i thought the bloat might be CO packaging (which is very slightly pressurized just because of the way the fill it).

FWIW, carwash mike (who is no idiot when it comes to meat) admits his cryo gets bloated. and our good friend alton brown openly advocates leaving cryo in the fridge for oh, 6 to 8 WEEKS.

i don't know about that though, because wet aging is for pansies (kidding!). but if i am going to age, i'm going to dry age.

i mean no disrespect, but i seriously believe that, in handling food, there should be no thing such as "doubt" at all. a person should understand exactly what's happening and know whether it is normal wet aging or something gone wrong. i'm trying to help the guy, but i'll admit i can't be responsible for telling him it's ok to eat.

many fine restaurants serve wet and dry-aged steaks, and it isn't rocket science to age.

but aleays, my FIRST bit of advice to someone asking about aging at home is to buy a professionally aged chunk of beef, because it SMELLS, and they better know what to look for and smell. because otherwise they would be "in doubt", and that is useless.

"doubt" is when you question something because you don't understand it. if he doesn't understand what's going on, he should toss it. but it isn't correct to say that because beef smells, it has definitively gone bad.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Jagweed...Agreed, none of us have seen, or smelled this piece of beef....but the swelled kryovac is an absolute 'red flag'. The swelling is from gasses from a fermentation process. Dry aging, there is air circulation, proper refrigeration, and bacteria inhibiting lights....Wet aging as you know, the meat is left in its "purge", kept in an air free environment, and allowed to "do it's thing". The bloating, as I have said, is a true sign for concern here. I suspect this meat, if cooked, will taste a bit more than 'gamey'. You know my saying....When in Doubt, Throw it Out. You may not agree, but I am not going to give advice I won't follow myself.
  • jagweed
    Options
    i don't take issue with your logic, i take issue with bubba implying i'm an idiot.

you have offered an explanation. an explanation is far better and waaaay more helpful than simply telling someone to toss it.

there are a lot of folks who merely "weigh in" on things here (for ex. "i'm not sure, but i wouldn't do it"), etc. without explaining their logic. i personally think that makes an answer useless.

your answer wasn't useless.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    I understand, and we are in agreement....though we may express it in different ways... ;) :laugh:
  • jagweed
    Options
    i actually think we are in agreement too.

i frankly get into way too much trouble here simply by trying to explain. folks' eyes glaze over during an explanation. they just want an "answer".
  • Ripnem
    Options
    You guys are just way too SMRT!

I did wonder a while back....."Who's this Jagweed?"

Shoulda known :pinch:
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Jagweed/Stike I would never imply you are an idiot! Really... I just wanted to out you...Gotcha! :whistle::whistle::whistle: ..lol
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Like he needed to be outed. Everyone knew anway.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Hi L.C.
    I could not agree with you more, not worth the chance.
    Smell is one thing and can be normal but a bloating bag??? I don't think so. :sick:

My Best to you and Bubba,
    Bordello
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    If you don't die....within the next 48 hours.....it was O.K.! ;)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    And much more accurate! :laugh: Just funnin J.W.! :)
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    The good Lord endowed all scentient creatures with a sense of smell for a reason. If it smells bad it is bad. There is something in that cryovac creating a noxious gas. You apparently ate at your own risk but I hope you have more sense next time, assuming there is one.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Wow...condescend much?
  • jagweed
    Options
    he didn't say it smelled bad....

hahaha

if people expect their beef to be bright red with no odor, then they'll forever eat the least interesting stuff.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    a quick google search proves it really is stike
    http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=40542
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    Bloated cryovac where there was no bloat before? Alarming smell after opening which lingers to a degree even after washing? Peculiar taste after cooking? Who of us would serve it up to family and friends? Not me! Didn't want to sound condescending but any advice should err on the side of safety.