Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Large or XL?

txkpoker
txkpoker Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I've decided to go ceramic and made a thread a couple days ago to help me with my decision on which brand to go with. At that point in time, I was only considering the BGE XL and the Primo Oval. Now I'm rethinking the whole size thing and here's why. I'd say that 90% of my cooking is going to be for one or two people. The other 10% will be for larger crowds of probably 10 to 12 folks and most of those meals will be standard fare bbq such as pork butts, an occasional brisket, and racks of ribs on game days (whoo pig!). So that is why I was thinking I was needing the largest size but here's the kicker...I have a really nice charcoal grill/smoker made from the kind folks at JR Enterprises down in DeWitt, Arkansas. Initially I was thinking of replacing that smoker with one ceramic unit (BGE XL) but now I don't know if I just keep it and go with a Large BGE. I really want to get into cooking pizzas on the ceramic and with the small meals I'd be cooking the majority of the time, perhaps the Large makes the most sense.

So I'd like to hear from the kind eggheads on this forum and here are my questions specifically...

1) Will I have to use excessive amounts of charcoal to cook for two if I have the BGE XL? Will it take considerably longer to heat the XL if I'm looking to sear just a couple of steaks or cook a couple of chicken breasts? I'm asking this in relation to doing these things on the Large BGE.

2) I turn out some dang good Q on the smoker I have that is plenty large for cooking for small parties. Will I still want to cook on the smoker if I purchase a Large Egg?

3) How many folks can you cook a bbq spread for on the Large Egg? Can you fit a few racks of ribs and possibly a butt or brisket on a Large at one time?

And anything else you'd like to throw in...if someone has been in a similar situation as mine I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

Comments

• It sounds to me that a Large will suit your needs.
    I have this size and I'm able to feed 15-20 with one cook. Obviously, my menu choices are limited. I can't do 15 racks of ribs or grill a bunch of steaks. But I can do 30 lbs of Butts, or 5 chickens or beef brisket to feed the masses. You just have to plan your cook when you have lots to feed. The Large also works well for only a few people.
    The choice is yours. Either way, your are going to love the food your BGE produces.
    Hope I talked you into it.
  • This question and answers have been in abundance on this forum. Do a search and see previous answers. I personally bought an XL for my first egg, then added a LGE about 8 mos later. If I had to do it all over again, I would prob go with the LGE and a Small combo for about the same money spent on the XL. This gives you the option of cooking for 2 (on the small) or cooking for a crowd (on the lge), also, gives you the option of 2 cooks going at same time with dif temps and times, for dif dishes. Good luck on your decision.
  • BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    I have a large and normally on cook for my wife and myself. That being said I have also done a some big cooks on it.

I did a 10lb butt, 4 racks of spares, and 35 wings for football party a couple of weeks ago. We had about 20 people there and there was food ledger over.

You can do a lot on The large egg but as with everything planning the cook from a time standpoint is key.

for this reason a lot of people will have multiple eggs to cook multiple things at once. I myself am getting ready to get another egg for this reason. So having your other cooker is good.

Honestly after you cook on the egg you probably wont want to cook on anything else.

The xl doesn't take any longer to heat up than a large in my experience with a friends. As for lump I can't help you. Ceramic grill store has a accessory that lets you build a fire with less lump for cooking small cooks.

You wont go wrong either way here in my opinion.
  • i was going to get a large. i have a family of four. i looked at them in person and the things are so heavy that i decided to get a small so i could tailgate with it as well. the small cooks 4 ribeyes perfectly with no problems, so i know a large would suffice for all but the largest events. they cook the burgers and steaks so fast that capacity would not be an issue unless you were cooking something very large.
  • Honestly you could do just fine with a medium. I recommend getting a large, then adding a small.

I have a large, still want a small. The large, with the adjustable rig from ceramic grill store, has cooked for 20 with sides done in the kitchen.

I love the large, but would also like a small so I could sear on one while cooking at lower heats on the other.

Personally, I think the XL is overkill for families, especially if you set up for multiple cooking levels. Plus, that sucker is heavy.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Go with the large.

I've cooked for 80 people on a large. Easy to do 4-5 butts, or 3 butts and a large brisket, or two brisket, or 6-8 slabs of ribs, etc.

You will use the large exclusively once you get the hang of it - I'm willing to bet it will produce better BBQ than your other rig. Just a hunch.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    32 pounds of meat will easily serve 10 to 12 folks.some of the guys that really know what they are doing have done 20 racks of ribs, or 7 whole chickens, or a 62 pound whole pig. these arent the norm but its been done on a large. tiered racking systems are available
    http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=226
    2005012055.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Great help as always. Thanks for the responses!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    i wouldnt jump right in with a twenty rack rib cook or a 62 pound pig, i still dont know how they did it :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    The XL certainly fits a niche, but after about a year of messing with eggs I would go with the large for your needs, and look into some of the rasied grid setups for versatility.

After using that for a while you can re-evaluate your needs and see if you might want a 2nd large or a small for even more versatility.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • 1) Go with a Large or Large and small if you can afford it. If you're mostly cooking for 2 you will use the small most of the time. When I first got my Egg, I wished that I had gone for the XL (thinking bigger was better). then after I started using it and figured out what I was doing, I was glad I had a Large.

2)you will use the large for all but your largest parties. maybe then too. I have a mini that I use a lot during the week and in the winter for just cooking entrees.

3) I frequently cook (6) racks of ribs in a rib rack.
    2 butts easy, in a few weeks I'll be trying (4).
    Lots of folks do their Thanksgiving turkeys
    on the Egg. Mad Max always avails himself to answer questions on Turkey cooks the week or so leading up to Thanksgiving.

As someone else said. When you get an Egg, you find yourself cooking stuff you never expected to be cooking.

A guy here in work just brought me a 5 gallon bucket of Bartlett Pairs from his tree. I will be making some kind of pie with them on the Egg this weekend.

I made a pork pizza last night.

it opens up a whole new world of possibilities.
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Ihave both, an XL and a large,I would say that I use the large 80% of the time.It is nice to have a Xl but for you it sounds like the large is the way to go.Good luck and enjoy all the great cooks.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    If you can afford the XL, then I would say buy a small and a large.

You'll be set. ;)
  • I use a L BGE. I am about to get my second - can hardly wait.

The large is pretty versitile and you can do all sorts of stuff. I cook for just myself when the wife and kids are out of town... i just shut down the egg at the end and reuse the charcoal thats left. I am getting the second egg so I can cook apetizers etc while I have another cook going (generally overnighters). I am sure I'll figure out a 1000 other reasons to use it too.

I had an excellent Gas Grill and bought my Lg BGE to replace my old Weber smoker that I used for turkeys on tksgiving. Well, after that my old 4 burner high BTU gasser has been really lonely - actually moved it off the deck to a patio we don't use very often...

Good luck - and think you will love the Egg.
  • Quit over analyzing, and start egging! Just do it, otherwise you will chase your tail all your life!

eggtasticly yours,

Grr!!!!!!
  • Coming from someone who has an XL, MED, SM and Mini I say get the Large and add to that later if needed. My XL doesn't get too many workouts these days as I find myself firing up the MED and Mini 90% of the time.