Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First turkey on BGE, covered or uncovered???

Options
Beer-n-Eggs
Beer-n-Eggs Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, first time doing a turkey on my bge. I'll be cooking at 325 in a v-rack, sitting in a drip pan which will be placed on an inverted plate setter. Do I need to cover the bird or not. In the past on my Holland grill, i covered for most of the cook until the last 45 minutes or so. Just curious as to hoiw I need to do it on the large.[p]Thanks![p]Buster

Comments

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Beer-n-Eggs,
    No need to cover the egg...just let it absorb the smoke!
    Your setup sounds good; just make sure you've got enough charcoal and a good thermometer.[p]Cheers and Happy Turkey Day!

• Beer-n-Eggs,[p]I'm doing my first also, so I'm no eggspert, but I've read just about every brining, turkey cooking, gravey thread on the board this week and most people do not cover. Seems like a lot of folks use the egg just like they'd use an oven for turkey.

• Beer-n-Eggs
    Options
    Shelby,[p]Ok, thanks for the response. I've got a whole bag od coal and a tru-temp thermometer with a probe for dome temp and bird temp. I also have a thermapen that I'll use to confirm biurd temp before pulling it off.[p]Does placement of the bird directoin-wise make a difference. I've read here somewhere than at higher temps, the egg will be hotter to the back of the grate. Is this true of a 325 degree cook thus requiring me to point it a certain way to turn out best?[p]Thanks again!

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Beer-n-Eggs,
    Some may suggest placing in different locations but I don't think it matters much. I do know the turkey neck I put on the edge will be done pretty fast, so at some point, I'll lift the dome long enough to pull it out.[p]The other factor...with a 23 pound bird, there's not much room to move it around for different placements.[p]You'll be fine!