Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

choosing bbq guru for my large egg

Options
2Fategghead
2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First
What bbq guru should I consider getting for my large egg?
Second
If I have the Maverick ET73 what would be the least bbq guru parts I would need?
Third
Who has the best price on the bbq guru?
Fourth
I see that the BBQ GURU DigiQ II TEMP CONTROL PACKAGE FOR BIG GREEN EGG and the pit viper 10 cfm and the guru adapter door. Any thing else? Anything different?

I cook butts and ribs and chicken ect...

So, any suggestions?

Thank you

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    If you look at all the Guru products, you have to ask yourself things like 1) Do you want a display? 2) Do you want ramp mode? 3) Do you want to control 2 cookers at once? 4) Do you want remote control or computer connectivity?

If you want the minimum, then the new NanoQ will certainly control the temperature of your pit. You won't have ramp mode or a display, but you can get away for about $200. It does have Adaptive Control and Open Lid Detect and a high temperature probe (meaning the temp it can withstand).
    The Naked Whiz
  • danny285
    Options
    I have the DigiQII and am very happy with it, that being said i only have one BGE and dont do remote cooks.
    You will be very happy with the digiq. Just set and forget it.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Alot of personal preference in this, but I am really happy with the Stoker. I hear great things about the guru too.

I picked the stoker because of:

1) Computer access via home network. This is how I set temps monitor cooks, etc.
    2) Access via mobile phone - Can monitor cooks and adjust dome temp while traveling around town.
    3) Expandability - am adding a second egg and just need to connect a second blower.

This is my personal preference.

Good luck in your decision.
  • cahuck
    Options
    i'm using my Nano for a brisket right now (on about 2 hours so far.) Seems to be working great and I liked the low price point!
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Thank you all for the great advice. I plan to learn all about the bbq guru's stuff and figure out what will be good for me. ;)
    Tim