Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp control

Options
Trek660
Trek660 Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am having a hard time controlling the temp. I can't get down below 300 degrees. I have the daisy almost shut and the damper down to less than 1/16inch opening.
any help.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    The main thing is that it is harder to get the temperature to drop than it is to get it to rise. If you want to get your cooker at 250, you need to watch the temperature as it rises, and start shutting down the airflow as it gets closer and closer to 250. If you let the cooker get up to 350 or 400, all the ceramic in the walls of the cooker will be hot, and they will have to cool down before you can lower the temperature. Here is a link to my webpage on temperature control: Temperature Control Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Trek660
    Options
    Thanks for the link. It did not reach much over 300 before I tried to lower it. It just seems to take forever to get it back down without completely choking it out. That happened to me the last time. I was able to restart the fire without having to remove the meat.
    I 've got the temp down now. ( almost an hour and a half to get it lowered to 250.)I just want to make sure I have not choked the fire out.
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Perfect timing..I'm doing my first slow cook today.
    Thanks for the link!
    Jon
  • LunaC
    LunaC Posts: 18
    Options
    Dont be overly concerned, 300 wont kill the cook minus the use of more lump. Just remember it is easy to overshoot with correction and kill the fire so just keep an eye on it
  • chrono
    chrono Posts: 177
    Options
    I've noticed my temp starts to shoot up quick after 20 minutes from lighting my lump. I close the vents right before it hits 200. It's tuff to get it back down but it will eventually.
  • Trek660
    Options
    Chrono,
    It's been holding a little under 250 steady for the last 3 hours. Whew. Yep. It's just like what you were talking about the first 20 minutes. I'll just close it down a little quicker. Next time.