Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trout

Options
J Appledog
J Appledog Posts: 1,046
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've cooked trout a zillion different ways but never with the head on, which is our assigned task tomorrow night. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks! JCA

Comments

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    J Appledog,
    I wouldn't do anything differently than you would if cooking them without the head. The head will not affect taste or speed of the cook - only the appearence. I smoke mine direct at 250° for one hour with plenty of alder and turn once after 30 minutes. I season with salt, lemon pepper and Raging River rub. Ummmm good!

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    J Appledog,
    Put a sprig of fresh herb (thyme, parsley, or rosemary) in the cavity with a ribbon of lemon zest and maybe a chopped shallot or two. Dot with butter.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    trout2.jpg
    <p />Julie:[p]Olive oil, season, and grill . . .
    [/b]
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Gretl,[p]Mint is my favorite.[p]Ken
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    ...so you don't have to brush your teeth after dinner.
    G.

• Grillin' Bill
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]1) Put trout in baking pan. Chop some herbs, I try to find thyme, oregano, parsley etc. Then sprinkle just a little in the cavity of fish. A lemon slice in each cavity. Lay a strip of bacon on outside of fish from head to tail. Pre heat oven to 200, put in oven in middle for 15 to 20 minutes. The reason you so this is to start the bacon cooking (so it becomes a little pliable) before you put on egg.[p]2) Prepare egg by covering grate about 80% in foil. Spray foil with Pam. Get a ton of herbs and lay on foil. Make a bed of herbs using parsley (flat or curley), basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, chives, tarragon, etc whatever you can get. Then scatter thin slices of lemon (a lot) on top of herbs. Place fish on top of bed of lemon and herbs. Toss a few lemon slices on top of fish. I sometimes squeeze lemon slices on fish before I toss them on the fish.[p]3)Pre heat egg to about 300 to 350. Put your favorite wood for smoke on lump. I've used apple, alder and hickory.[p]4)Put grate on egg. I usually put a weber grate in first, the 3 fire brick on their side then the egg grate. Cook at about 350 until done. I usually find it takes 25 to 35 minutes until the fish are done. [p]5) Smoke will come up where the grate is not covered in foil, and go out daisey wheel. I forgot to mention I usually punch holes in the foil to let heat and smoke to fish. Should end up like hickory smoked/poached fish. Very very moist. Drink a buttery/oaky chardonay.[p]Cheers[p]Grillin Bill
    Bill Wellborn[p][p]