Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To buy or to not buy

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I trying to make up my mind whether or not to buy one of the Egg Demo packages (large size) for $669.95 from BGE Eggtoberfest.

My only holdup is that 95% of the time i only cook for two people and a BGE seems a little overkill for that when I can do it on my Weber gas grill very quickly and efficiently.

Any advice?

Comments

• civil eggineer
    Options
    Nothing, and I mean nothing cooks as good as a ceramic cooker. It can maintain temps for 24+ hours on a single load of lump and more importantly keeps food super moist while it cooks. I have indirectly sold over 10 eggs to people I have fed off of my medium BGE. I told them all the same thing, but it and if you don't feel it is worth it I will buy it from you. I have never had to buy one back. My only regret is I was 48 years old before I bought mine. That was a lot of years and terrific meals I missed out on.

As I said I have a medium and love it. I usually cook for 2 but on certian occations cook for 6 or 7. The large is probably the most versatile and the cost difference between the medium is fairly minimal. You need to try more food that has been cooked on an egg because the weber or any other grill can't even begin to compare...no brag, just fact!
  • fieroguy
    Options
    While you may be able to cook quickly and efficiently on a gasser, you cannot prepare food to near the quality of the Egg. Just wifey and me, but I have and use two (2) Large Eggs. One is primarily for meat, the other for baking.

Often cook for the office and family (20-30 people).

Ditto what civil engineer said.
  • fieroguy
    Options
    I was 70 yrs. old at first purchase. Had never heard of a BGE, never tasted anything off of one. Wish now I had bought one many years ago. Just did 4 burgers and will be doing a spatchcocked yard bird in a coupla haours
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    I cook for just the two of us and we have a large and a small. You know that Weber you mentioned? I gave my super expensive gas grill away along with my Pitts and Spitts offset smoker and have not missed them yet.

You will be a very unusual person if you regret purchasing the egg.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I will assume you are being serious even though you have posted as a visitor.

The large demo at eggfest will be the best deal on an egg you will find. If you worry about the size, go ahead and get the small at eggtoberfest. You can smoke smaller amounts of bbq on it and do anything direct you would ever want. If at some point you decide you love it (and you will) you can get a second and larger egg.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Go for it, I'm single and have 4, go figure.

Jump in and join the cult,
    Bordello
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Only get one if your interested in making the best food possible, at your own house. :)

Simple as that.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Truth of the matter is once you begin to cook on a large you won't have any shortage of friends who will occasionally invite themselves over for an afternoon.

I got a large 11 years ago for my wife and I and "it works" for us, then when it's called for you can do a bunch of stuff. I have the large and a mini and I think I might "win" a small or medium from my dealer one of these days. ;)
  • SteveinTN
    Options
    BUY BUY BUY!

Yes there are two of us also and i bought a large demo egg two years ago. I would buy the large for sure. You will need the room to cook things like ribs for friends or extra chicken for leftovers.

buy enjoy and have fun. it is great. I have a large SS viking that has only been one one time since we got the egg!
  • Dave Shady
    Options
    Sold my Weber Genesis for $300 1 year old after my egg was home for not even 2 months!

Dont regret it at all!!!!

Get a medium or Small! We have a Large and Mini for the 2 of us.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Don't but the darn thing, steal it!! :evil:
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    Bought mine about 2 weeks ago Lge demo from Indy, only 2 of us at home and don't feel that it is too big at all. Have done several direct and indirect and only bad nothing bad has come off yet! B)
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    Go for it but don't get rid of your Weber gasser. I use it a lot for fast cooks like hot dogs, hamburgers, fish, sausage, shrimp etc., even steaks. I see no material advantage from using my Eggs for real quick cooks, which I use for BB and beef ribs, roasts, butts, chicken etc., anything that takes more than just a few minutes.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

If money is not an issue get the large.

It's my wife and I here also. You don't need to load the large full of lump to do a cook for two.

When we want we can cook for all 26 of the family. After the first year I ended up buying a medium, small and mini. Now we use the large and mini. The medium is used when to cook a different dish or if we need more grill space.

chicken2plug3rdeyeplug.jpg

chickenwhitesau2.jpg

chicken1.jpg

chili1.jpg

blackncatntrout.jpg

GG
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Only buy it if you want a new obsession.

I have a weber kettle and a gas grill, and used them maybe once every two weeks. Now I have an XL and a medium BGE, and use them about 4 times a week on average. The family has adjusted to later eating times, and we all love the food.

It's just so fun making such delicious food night after night.
  • StoicDude
    Options
    As a new egg owner here is my take on it.

I have a Weber Geneses EP310 and a Weber One Touch Silver. I also just purchased a BGE Mini.

I love all three of my grills. :laugh:

The Mini is great and is getting used the most right now. It is easy to light, easy to clean up and makes some great food.
    The reason why I got the mini is I love cooking over charcoal, but using my Weber kettle was causing me to use too much charcoal when cooking for only one person, mainly me. Also, the Mini is much easier to clean and during windy weather, which is fairly normal in Reno, NV, it is easier to light, doesn't cause a fire hazard by having sparks/ ashes flying all over the place.
    It maintains the temperature very well, which is not as easily done on the Weber kettle.

I still use my gas gril (the girlfriend uses it mainly) and I use my kettle.

If I had to do it all over and had to purchase my first grill, it would have been the Large BGE. Now that I own three grills it is hardly easy to justify spending $700+ for a new grill.
    If money is not an issue, just get it.
    As many on here have said, it will be your obsession and you will end up spending even morey money. :lol:
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Dryfly,I agree bout keeping the gasser for a quick hotdog or even a burger, but to cook a steak on a gasser with a cold BGE standing by is a HORRIBLE thing.
    The egg is a steak searing monster, resulitng in beef cooked as good or better than a fine steakhouse. Most gassers cant begin to get hot enough.
  • ranger ray
    Options
    i'm single and cook for myself most of the time...the egg heats up faster than a gas grill...( i use a weed burner for ignition of the charcoal)and there's nothing like the flavor and moisture retention that the egg provides....i had a mini.... sold it very shortly after i bought it.... also due to the fact that you can snuff out the fire....i found that the egg is more economical to operate as opposed to gas(a 20pound tank here in NEPA is 18 bucks)..... can't cook pizzas with the same effect either...another plus.... you can use it on the coldest of days.... something i could not do with my gasser.... hope this help in making your choice.....rr
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    I agree with you, Bacchus. The thing is the Weber thermometer, which can't be recalibrated, registered about 70 low at boiling point. My gasser can bury the needle at 600+ deg which means actual temp is up around 700. I still take it off for the dwell and lower the heat to roast @ 400. I will use my Egg most times when cooking steaks for a crowd. I really don't want to deal with gasket issues so I'm loath to cook at ore smelting temperature levels.

I do like having the Weber as another vessel for cooking sides etc. Don't like to limit my options. It has been a huge help in a lot of instances.