Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Small - Now Work Begins

Options
Iowa State Egger
Iowa State Egger Posts: 337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After some debating, I decided to pull the trigger on a second Small BGE rather than the mini. The mini was intriguing, but I wanted the extra space and the dealer I like to deal with didn't have a mini in stock.

Kickoff is Thursday night, so my goal this afternoon is to make a carrier/table for two smalls. I have seen a lot of good carriers out there, but never for two so hopefully I am not biting off too much!

Here is the picture of the new little guy - modeling for measurements:

SmallEgg.jpg

The Start:

JustStartedWorking.jpg

Got the cutting done with the exception of the circles:

Peices.jpg

Since the cutting was done, decided to stop and have a beer. I started with 3/4 inch plywood. The dimensions will be 48" by 30". I cut out 10" legs, so the whole thing will stand 11.5"s.

This sparks the question - how big of holes do I need to cut. I assume I can eyeball it, but I assumed somewhat has already figured this out.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    The diameter of the whole in this one is 15".

IMG_1517800x600.jpg

BUT - The distance between the top and bottom is 9-1/2". Works fine for me.
  • Iowa State Egger
    Options
    Frank -

I actually have seen your picture in previous posts and yours is the one I am trying to model mine after. Thanks for the info!
  • Iowa State Egger
    Options
    Slowly but Surely!

Progress.jpg
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey Dave,15" may be a little snug(since yours is taller than Franks),but you can alway's make the hole larger,but not smaller ;) BTW: wipe that smudge off your camera lens man :P Congrats on the new small :)
  • JalopyBob
    JalopyBob Posts: 175
    Options
    Congrats on the new small. What do you estimate the weight of the 2 smalls and your new carrier to be, and how many people to carry them? I am trying to form ideas to build 2 individual carriers with wheels for a pair of smalls. Maybe a box with folding hand truck handles, so I would not have to depend upon finding someone else to help carry them.
  • Iowa State Egger
    Options
    Doug -

Just noticed the smudge - thanks!

I am planning on 18 inches I think. I just put on the first round of primer. I thought my neighbor had a jig saw, but it he only has a saw zaw. I need to keep looking to make my holes.
  • Iowa State Egger
    Options
    My carrier is already pretty heavy, but mobility wasn't a goal. The carrier will just sit in the back of my truck with both eggs. When I park, I will lift the eggs out of the truck, turn over the carrier and put the eggs on top.

I can see your challenge in trying to make the mobile, good luck.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    :lol: Yea,all your pics had the same blurry spot :lol: I hope that you meant 15"(not 18").The hole may be a little tight,but you can always sand them to make them bigger,but you can't go the other way.I measured my small(at 11.5")And came up with 15.127" diameter,but prolly shoulda measured the diameter at 10.75" :pinch:
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    given the time of year, I'm not sure how those colors play now that you're in Texas........you might wake up one Saturday and find the egg gone but the stand still there...........LOL.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    Options
    Has anyone made a carrier/stand for a medium?
    I was thinking that 3 inches on each side at the narrowest part for the ply..I am going with 3/4 in ply also..only because I have some oak left over from the last job.

And I was thinking 12 inches high from top to bottom.
    What can you get by with as far as a spacer under the egg for cooking?
    Will the feet be enough....not something I will be using that much.

Rick in Mt.
  • Iowa State Egger
    Options
    I think the feet are enought, especially for the type of cooking I will be doing. I only get 6 hours of tailgating, so there won't be any overnight cooks.
  • Iowa State Egger
    Options
    Now I can drink another beer - tested one Small in there and it works great. Now for the Paint! Hopefully the primer helps out.

HolesCut.jpg
  • iabbqguy
    iabbqguy Posts: 27
    Options
    Nice looking table. Are you going to paint it Cyclone colors? Even though I'm a lifelong Hawkeye fan, my God-daughter is a Cyclone cheerleader. I'm biased for the Cyclone cheerleaders. :laugh:

I thought football season would never get here!