Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerk Pork and Rice and Peas

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I cooked some Jerked Pork. It was about a three pound boneless pork loin roast. I applied about two to three tablespoons of Eaton’s Wet Jerk Rub on Sunday afternoon. When I got home, I fired up junior. I let him get to about 300 degrees, put on a handful of soaked Guava Chips and the pork. I have decided that cooking the Jerk Pork directly over the coals leads to the proper texture on the outside and inside of the meat. I also applied some Island Spice Dry Jerk Seasoning to the top when I put the meat on and on the bottom after the first flip. The higher sugar content of the Dry Jerk lends to a nice finish on the meat.[p]I cooked the Jerk for about one and a half hours. I flipped on the first two half hours and then on the quarter hour. The polder was set at 160 and boy did it come out perfect.[p]While the meat was cooking, I made the rice and peas. This is a traditional Jamaican dish that uses coconut milk instead of water to cook the rice. With the addition of some frozen green peas, scallions, thyme and garlic to the pot, it was delicious.[p]One of the gentlemen that I work with was born in Jamaica. I gave him some and said that he needed to call his mother now. He really enjoyed it.[p]Tonight I am going to see the Indians vs. Oakland. Dinner will be a boiled ballpark hot dog and a beer. I am actually exited about this meal. This is the only time that I will hot dogs, it is just part of baseball.[p]Go Tribe!
RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I agree with you on cooking loins direct. I generally have some sort of rub on mine and I found after cooking them indirect the rub kinda' turns to mush. Direct on a loin gives a good bark on the outer meat and a nice tender inside.[p]Good luck at teh game, that ballpark frank does sound pretty good. You're right, if you're at a game, ya' gotta' have a beer and a dog. Multiples of each are acceptable as well, just be careful of too many multiples, get too many dogs on your stomach and you cant drink any more beers.[p]Troy
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]The jerked meal sounds great. And I agree with the hot dog and beer dinner...except you have the wrong stadium. The only REAL place for a hot dog and beer meal can be had at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx!!![p]Just kidding. Don't want to start a baseball flame war (none is needed; the Yanks are in a different class :)[p]Seriously, though. At Yankee Stadium there is this one food vendor section called Sausage Etc. or something like that which has footlong dogs, hot and sweet sausage sandwhiches, etc, which are actually pretty good! Grab something from this section plus a watered down beer or two (at about $6 a pop) and you're set to watch the Yanks kick some tail![p]Good luck to the Tribe this year. The Yanks are counting on prodcution from some old arms. We'll see how they hold up. Either way, to me it's really still preseason for the Jets...[p]Cornfed
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    sprinter,[p]get too many dogs on your stomach and you cant drink any more beers.[p]Amen!