Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a New Rub

Options
Doug
Doug Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got the word to cut down or out on the sodium. Most rubs I see have tons of salt. Anyone have a recipe for a real nice rub with low sodium?????Thanks

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Doug,
    The store bought rubs do have a ton of salt.[p]My suggestion, FWIW, is to make your own rubs, just cut the salt down some, and use kosher salt. JJs rub is hard to beat for a good all purpose rub. Lots of good rub recipes in Smoke and Spice. And several others in the recipe section. [p]I usually put less salt in rubs than the recipes call for anyway. It won't be too much of a sacrifice! [p]HTH
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Doug,[p]For what its worth. My Internist has said that salt has been proven to have no effect on blood pressure. I am one who has a pressure that is just barely in the OK range, so I was very interested to hear that. [p]Maybe our forum medical pros will correct me if I am wrong on this. [p]
    Oh, BTW - salt is easy to omit from rubs. I use very little anyway. I do like my sea salt though.
    Tim

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Doug,[p]I agree with NB, make your own and I agree with Tim M about the nature of salt. This recipe has little salt and a nice flavor.[p]This could be a finished product or a starting point. It was originally taken from "Paul Kirk's Champion Barbecue Sauces". The original called for 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne and no white pepper. If you don't have the book, it is something to consider - lots of sauces and rubs. The actual recipe makes a small amount - a good place to start.[p]2 tablespoon paprika
    1 tablespoon dark brow sugar - dried
    2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon ground celery seed
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt or Kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
    1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/2 teaspoon ground marjoram
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon white pepper[p]Combine all and mix well - I use a blender. [p]

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Gfw,
    Thanks Gordon. That sounds like a great rub. Calls for VERY little salt. What do they call it??[p]I think I need to get that book.[p]Thanks man!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    BBQ Spice Rub - I actually found it in the beginning of the book, not in the rub section - it is what he considere (without most the pepper) a basic starting point on which to build based on your tastes. You can then read the other recipes to see what is added, etc. [p]It has been a good book. I have 4 books that I rely on, maybe I'll add a library page.
  • Doug
    Doug Posts: 132
    Options
    Gfw, thanks for the great information AND the recipe. A library page is a great idea!!! Go for it!
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Doug, I have read all of the "follow ups" to your post but but still don't quite understand what you want to put the rub on. There are a zillion rubs and marinade recipes that don't use a lot of salt. What are you fixin' to cook? JCA