Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Earth box for tomatoes

Options
deltadawn
deltadawn Posts: 94
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Need some advice: after reading some posts earlier this Summer/Spring we decided to try tomatoes. Has anyone ever had problems with blossom end rot using the Earthbox. We have some tomatoes with it and others are fine. Isn't blossom end rot caused by too much water or not enough water? I did plant 3 plants vs the 2 that were suggested by the manuafacturer. I think next year I will try planting just 2. Any advice, suggestions????? Thanks, Dawn

Comments

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Blossom end rot is caused by a lack of lime. I made a couple of new boxes myself this year and planted three tomato plants in one of them. Of course after I had them all set up I read the Earth Box directions (Mac user) and it said to add lime to the potting mix for tomatoes.
    Duh, I started occasionally pouring in some water with limestone mixed in, it seems to have worked fairly well as I am now overrun with perfect tomatoes. Rare in New England this year :)
    DSC_0002-4.jpg
    These were all grown in Earth boxes or my homemade boxes.
    DSC_0015.jpg

So add Limestone any way you can!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    that could explain the flowers rotting off my plants this year, they are planted under big pines. gonna get some lime up there. the plants themselves are huge but not many flowers took
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Options
    Might be! This has been an awful year for tomatoes. Apparently there was a large shipment of young plants sent to the big box stores from down south that were infected with Early blight disease which has spread all over New England. I have some neighbors whose pants have all died. My plants are starting to look a little yellowy.

I have a sweet 100 cherry tomato that would normally have hundreds of tomatoes by now and has ripened maybe a dozen good ones, it's been a BAD tomato year.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    the sweet 100 is my only good plant, and its huge, over nine feet tall. duck taped it to some boards last weekend. that one has a good amount that are just turning red in the last week. just a couple jetstars and a couple mr stripeys that might have a chance to turn. every flower rotted until about the second week of july. planted to far into the asparagus bed, next year ill step them out a little further. those acidic pines arent helping, i should have thought about the lime sooner, i dont think you can put too much down in that area under the pines. blueberries love the pines, huge crop this year :)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Options
    We got the best crop of Blueberries we ave ever had, I think it was all that rain we had. My sweet 100s are tall but not producing well.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    The instructions for the Earthbox call for about a cup of Dolomite (lime) to increase the pH for tomatoes, as the potting mix is too acidic. Blossom end rot is caused in most cases from pH that is too low.

Cpt'n Cook seems to have overcome this with adding some limestone to his water. Split tomatoes come from letting the reservoir go dry, then watering, as well as from hot weather.

My earthbox tomatoes are recovering from our extremely hot June (95-100*) which interferes with the bloom setting, I am starting to get some tomatoes again, but am starting to see some yellow limbs. Not sure what that is from as I don't see any pests on them.

Good luck with them.
  • deltadawn
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice. B) I guess I missed the part about the lime in the directions. Not all of the tomatoes have it, just some. We have one plant that is a "Mr Stripey" and they are very sweet and very good. They have stripes of yellow through red. We do have more tomatoes this year using the Earthbox vs just planting in the dirt or pots.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Looking good...

I only have a few tomatoes....one eggplant, and my zuchini and squash have done nothing...(rabbits got my pepper plants)...

Basil and Thyme are going great though