Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My biggest cook to date...

Options
DrZaius
DrZaius Posts: 1,481
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked for the guys at work. Pre-cook weight of 36lbs of Pork Butt (4, 9lb butts). This was a very fun cook. I have to thank Vidalia1 B) for the use of his DigiQ II setup for the egg. That device is wonderful and I will be getting my own for sure this fall. I prepped the butts 2 days ago by soaking them for about 36 hours in a brine mixture. I then injected them with another mixture and then I rubbed BBQ rub on them and the coated them in mustard and finally a little more rub. So here goes nothing.

Here are the butts along with the Brine bucket and ingredients...

DSC05373.jpg

DSC05374.jpg

DSC05375.jpg

Here is the concoction...
DSC05376.jpg

DSC05378.jpg

With the butts plunged into the Briney deep...
DSC05380.jpg

DSC05381.jpg

Now they have emerged 36 hours later, they look very good...
DSC05383.jpg

Rubbed up for another 24 hours out of the brine...
DSC05384.jpg

DSC05385.jpg

DSC05387.jpg

DSC05389.jpg

Here are some pics of me getting the fire and egg put together. I used Wicked Good Charcoal. Check out the adjustable rig. www.ceramicgrillstore.com...
DSC05394.jpg

DSC05395.jpg

DSC05396.jpg

DSC05397.jpg

Now that the fire is started I did the final prep on the butts. Injection, Mustard rub and then more rub...
DSC05402.jpg

DSC05403.jpg

DSC05404.jpg

DSC05406.jpg

On to the Egg!
Layer 1...
DSC05407.jpg

Layer 2...

DSC05408.jpg

Smoking nicely...
DSC05409.jpg

DSC05410.jpg

DSC05411.jpg

Now they were put on about 1:30pm Friday afternoon. I set the DigiQ to a pit temp of 235*. I pulled the butts off the egg at 5:30am Saturday morning. That is about 16 hours of cooking time. They were 190* when they were wrapped in foil and towels and placed in a cooler for the trip to work. I had insulated them well because at 11:30am they were still hot when I pulled the pork for lunch :woohoo: ...
DSC05412.jpg

DSC05414.jpg

DSC05415.jpg

DSC05416.jpg

Here are some pics of it pulled. You will have to excuse the pics, I had to use my phone :whistle: because I forgot my camera this morning...
IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

And finally the bones...
Which I would like to add, pulled out like a hot knife through butter... :P

IMG_0541.jpg
This is the greatest signature EVAR!

Comments

• Blue Ridge Smoke
    Options
    Excellent job!!! These pics tell the whole story, except the smiles on people face as they eat that great lunch! [pat]
  • Dave Shady
    Dave Shady Posts: 247
    Options
    AWESOME!!!!! thanks for all them photos.. The adjustable rig is in my near time to purchase for sure!

What all pcs did you use for this set up?
  • DrZaius
    Options
    Blue Ridge Smoke wrote:
    Excellent job!!! These pics tell the whole story, except the smiles on people face as they eat that great lunch! [pat]

Thanks Pat! They were very very pleased with the outcome. :laugh:
  • DrZaius
    Options
    Dave Shady wrote:
    AWESOME!!!!! thanks for all them photos.. The adjustable rig is in my near time to purchase for sure!

What all pcs did you use for this set up?

That was 1 Adjustable rig with 1 set of crossbars and 1 NON-sliding grid.

I also used a Spider to hold my drip pan. Get together with Tom B) he will definitely hook you up! :)
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Nice looking cook, good job. Great photo story.

One suggestion, save your mustard for Hot Dogs.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• mojo
    mojo Posts: 220
    Options
    Good golly that looks amazing, nice job and I'm sure everyone appreciated your hard work.
  • mint-tulip
    mint-tulip Posts: 171
    Options
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Dang Doug I can smell those all the way up here in NC....loking great...I bet the folks at work really loved them.... :P
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :woohoo: great cook! even better, great photos of the adjustable rig -- been wanting to see one in action and yours are the best tutorial.

Questions: With the drip pan where a plate setter would normally be, did the bottom butts cook any different temp/time wise? Any More Burnter ends on the bottom rack?

Thanks, grat cook and as a Golden Egger, Bubba Tim may be lurking near by :woohoo:
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    what a great post!!! the slick bones tell the whole story done perfect :evil: I just told Neil I am ready for a batch of PP. used the last bag of frozen on pizzas a while back and there just isn't anything better than zippies crust, Big'un sauce and pulled pork and fresh mozza cheese!!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Way to rock,Doc!!! ;)
  • DrZaius
    Options
    Desert Oasis Woman wrote:
    :woohoo: great cook! even better, great photos of the adjustable rig -- been wanting to see one in action and yours are the best tutorial.

Questions: With the drip pan where a plate setter would normally be, did the bottom butts cook any different temp/time wise? Any More Burnter ends on the bottom rack?

Thanks, grat cook and as a Golden Egger, Bubba Tim may be lurking near by :woohoo:

No, the bottom ones were not more burnt. They did finish about 10 degrees sooner than the top. The bottoms were 190 and the top were 180 when I yanked them off the egg. Because they were towel wrapped for such a long period (5.5 hours)it did not matter. All were perfect when pulled. I do need to get a small stone for under the pan for a little more mass.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I'm glad you were happy with the results..but man you did WAY more work than you needed to...pulled pork doesn't need to be complicated...but I'm sure it came out great....
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Good job Dr.

Ross
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    I guess I just worked for the wrong people. No one ever did that kind of thing for us at work. Mighty fine cooking.
  • Chappy
    Chappy Posts: 198
    Options
    Do you have a separate fridge to put the bucket in? After injecting my last butt, I will be doing it from now on. I just don't have room in my fridge for a bucket of butts.
  • DrZaius
    Options
    WessB wrote:
    I'm glad you were happy with the results..but man you did WAY more work than you needed to...pulled pork doesn't need to be complicated...but I'm sure it came out great....

I guess I really do not consider it work. Cooking has always been a fun hobby for me. I do all the cooking at my home not just the grilling/smoking. The brine method I think is a way better than injecting but it more work and can be very messy. They were fantastic.
  • DrZaius
    Options
    Chappy wrote:
    Do you have a separate fridge to put the bucket in? After injecting my last butt, I will be doing it from now on. I just don't have room in my fridge for a bucket of butts.

Yes I have a fridge in my basement that I can put buckets of meat in :P.
  • cahuck
    cahuck Posts: 31
    Options
    great report. thanks for sharing!
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I, as you, also do all of the cooking in my household..and as you, dont consider it work at all..more of an enjoyment...my point was meant only to stress that you can make some wonderful pulled pork by merely rubbing it with your favorite rub and letting the egg do the rest..brining injecting and mustard just is was way more work than is needed for great pulled pork....if you took my post as offensive, that werent the way it were meant... :)
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    WOW! that looks great. That looks like an encyclopedia on pulled pork. :laugh:
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    That looks like a candidate for a BTCMD Award.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    great pictorial....that's a lot of butt.
    couple bones for the dog too....sweet

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Zyme
    Zyme Posts: 180
    Options
    I bow to you sir--phenomenal!!! :woohoo:
  • DrZaius
    Options
    WessB wrote:
    I, as you, also do all of the cooking in my household..and as you, dont consider it work at all..more of an enjoyment...my point was meant only to stress that you can make some wonderful pulled pork by merely rubbing it with your favorite rub and letting the egg do the rest..brining injecting and mustard just is was way more work than is needed for great pulled pork....if you took my post as offensive, that werent the way it were meant... :)

Its all good Wess! :)

There was no offense even thought of.
  • SteveinTN
    SteveinTN Posts: 232
    Options
    that looks great! wonderful how to guide. the pics of the set up were GREAT.
    thanks steve
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Great lookin' cook!

Any way to describe what effect the brine mix had on the over quality of the pull and taste?
  • DrZaius
    Options
    NoVA Bill wrote:
    Great lookin' cook!

Any way to describe what effect the brine mix had on the over quality of the pull and taste?

Well the best description that I can give is the moisture level was very high. I pulled all of the butts at the same time, around 11:30 Saturday afternoon. My shift ate right away and it was fantastic. The second shift did not eat theirs until 6pm about 7.5 hrs of pulled meat sitting in the fridge. When it was re-heated it did not need any kind of moisture added, according to them it was perfect. Now the overnight shift did not get to theirs until 11pm and the y also did not have to add any kind of liquid to the meat. The meat re-heated and was like it was freshly pulled.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    That's great! Some lucky folks I might add.