Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Turkey Breast question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did my first turkey breast on the egg this weekend. I stabilized the egg at 300, added some apple chips that I had previously soaked, and put the turkey breast on. It took about 1:45 to get to 170 internal temp. I left it on for another 15 minutes and it came off at somewhere between 175 and 180.[p]I have never sliced into a juicier turkey breast in my life! My mother-in-law wouldn't believe me when I told her it was done. The only thing that disappointed me was the lack of smokey taste.[p]Could I get some suggestions on how to get a smokier taste in the bird? Thanks![p].[p]

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    RamblinWreck,
    I LOVE smokey-tasting turkey. My usual "drill" is to use 3 or 4 chunks of wood, depending on size. One right in the center, the others at various distances from the center so they can smolder as the burn spreads.[p]Apple is great. Looking at your handle, you might find some peach chunk. Every bit as good.[p]Ken

• Big-R
    Big-R Posts: 36
    Options
    RamblinWreck, two ways.......
    Use more wood, chunks are best cause they last longer
    Use stronger wood.... hickory, mesquite will give more smokey taste.[p]Randy

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    RamblinWreck,[p]I don't care too much for a lot of smoke, but adding more chunks of wood should do it for you - no need to soak them either as that doesn't make them smoke more. You might try using a lower dome temp for the first 20 min or so and then raise it up to 300-350° to cook the breast and brown it well.[p]As far as juicy - try pulling it out at 165-167° next time - 180 is really too much.[p]Tim
  • Tim M,[p]I am going to take my first shot at a smoked turkey this Thanksgiving. Is there a size of turkey you think is better over the other 12lbs vs 18lbs. Also, I assume this goes on the V rack with the drip pan, correct? Any other thoughts much appreciated.[p]Bob

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Dolphinsredman,
    I cooked two 9# turkey breast last Thanksgiving...Rubbed with olive oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper.Cooked at 350° for about 15 minutes per pound or when the breast reaches 165°.
    Larry

[ul][li]Thanksgiving Turkey Breast[/ul]