Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Large scale appetizer suggestions requested

Options
MikeInMdsn
MikeInMdsn Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My significant other is involved in the organization of a 300 person progressive dinner that is taking place Saturday night. Most of the food is being catered or donated by restaurants as this is a charity event. Some of the food is also being prepared by private individuals. Enter me. I've been asked to prepare an appetizer (one of many), preferably with a country theme as the business that was providing bisquits and country ham is backing out. The real kicker that is stumping me is that I have no provisions for heating or cooling, so the item needs to be able to hold well and be served at room temperature. Any ideas? The way I see it, my requirements are:[p]1. Simple to prepare Saturday morning or afternoon.
2. Inexpensive ingredients (I'm paying).
3. Country themed as actors portraying Minnie Pearl and Archie Campbell will be performing.
4. Easy to serve and eat.
5. No special holding temperature requirements.[p]I'm thinking some sort of cornbread, either sweet, or savory, say with cheese. Something that can be baked in a 9x13 pan. Any good recipes or other suggestions out there?

Comments

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    MikeInMdsn,[p]How about smoking a few bologna chubs. It's really good and everybody gets a kick out of it.
    [/b]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Options
    MikeInMdsn,[p] Vegetable-oil cooking spray
    3 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
    1 1/4 cups buttermilk
    1/4 cup minced ham
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh
    parsley leaves[p][p][p]1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat two baking sheets with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Using a pastry knife or two forks, cut in 7 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk, ham, and parsley until a dough forms, being careful not to overwork the dough.[p]2. On a floured surface, roll out dough to a 1/2-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch biscuit cutter, cut out shapes and place on prepared baking sheets. Gather leftover dough and repeat process.[p]3. Melt remaining tablespoon butter and brush over tops of biscuits. Bake until lightly browned -- 12 to 15 minutes. Serve warm.[p]These are very good.....yummy, I just may have to make some this evening!![p][p]